Odd idiot light question...

WhatTheFehl

The car has done this a few times by now, I've noticed. Last night on my way home from a BSA District Roundtable (also Order of the Arrow) meeting, I pulled out of the parking lot and decided to open up the car a bit. I hadn't done it in a while, so I figured I might as well. I put the pedal almost to the floor, and it behaves normally... then for a split second right before it drops into 2nd the battery light on both the gauge cluster and the HUD flashes. It just barely catches my eye, by the time I focus on it, it is gone. I try doing WOT twice more on the drive home... and I cannot get the light to come on again. Anyone have any clue WTF is going on here? The battery is less than a year old, the alternator is working fine according to the tester I have.

My initial instinct was "Maybe it was the engine light, maybe the transmission hesitated just enough to make it flash the light"... but when I got home and shut off the car, and turned it back to run, when all the lights go through the test phase it was the red one that is shaped like a battery on the upper right hand side of the gauge cluster, above the speedo... same on the hud, upper right.

It has done it before, but when I try to replicate it I can't make it happen.

As near as I can tell, it was the battery light. It wasn't the SES light because that is orange and does not display on the HUD. It wasn't the security light because it wasn't a word... it was a symbol... plus I don't think the security light displays on the HUD either.

sounds like an intermittent disconnect IMO.

i'd check along where all of the large guage wires run that connect the alt, battery, electrical centers, remote positive terminal and down where they meet at the starter solenoid.

The belt looks brand new. I imagine it was replaced not long before I purchased the car (along with the radiator hoses that still had the little Carquest stickers on them)

Your car doesn't have a check guages light by any chance does it?

I know my cutlass used to light the check gauges light whenever the tach would hit the amber zone. So it would flash pretty well everytime I went WOT.

Your car doesn't have a check guages light by any chance does it?

I know my cutlass used to light the check gauges light whenever the tach would hit the amber zone. So it would flash pretty well everytime I went WOT.

The feature you describe is part of the 92-94 CS guage clusters.... and not this cluster. interesting point, though.

check the tensioner for side to side movement. replace if excessive. TIP: get a used tensioner from a 88-92 2.8/3.1, they are heavier duty than later tensioners and the same size.

tighten the aux post and the wire on the back of the alt.