1995 Cutlass Supreme -- tell me about it.

bryanb

A neighbor of a friend has a 1995 Cutlass Supreme that they might be selling soon. The elderly lady that has it now is nearing moving to a nursing home, and there will be no one to drive the car. I wanted to ask here and see if its a good deal, or if its particularily rare, or what to look for while checking it out.

As I said is a '95 Cutlass Supreme. I looked very briefly at it. From what I remember, the main points are:

showroom condition, always garaged.

14,000 miles, yes thats right.

sunroof

bucket seats up front

dual airbags

3.4L V6

Looks to be fairly loaded, with power everything, and auto.

tires look new

I've known my friend for 12 years, and I haven't seen it move in the last 6 or so at least.

Coupe or sedan? 3.4 sedans are more rare than 3.4 coupes.

Leather?

And power everything, and automatic transmission were standard features.

Only thing I would worry about is the timing belt as 15 years is a long time for an original belt... Its not particularly rare but is definitely uncommon to see in showroom condition... If it hasnt moved, the battery is most likely dead, it wouldnt hurt to just put a new one in

I wanted to ask here and see if its a good deal,

there is no way to tell you if it is a good deal without seeing alot pics on the car, knowing its true running/driving/stopping condition and how much you would be paying for it. If it truly hasn't moved in 6 years you should plan on replacing a lot of this things based on age and lack of use.

If the car hasn't moved in six years as you say then the tires are probably flat spotted and will need replacing regardless of how much tread is left. That is of course you don't mind a rough riding car.

Yeah show us some pics.

Sounds great aside from the fact that it hasn't moved in such a long time. That means it would probably need a full tune up and most likely new tires as mentioned, etc. With that amount of money being spent on work, don't go for a high price. It would be a great daily driver for a long time but consider ALL the money you'd be putting into it. :thumbsup:

looked once more. Yes, grey interior, with full leather. Looks like some seat covers on the front seats. Tires look new, but I wasn't able to find the manufacture date code. 17,000 miles, not 14K; but still damn low. The gal said its been driven once every couple months to the 'dealer' (must be the old Olds dealer, that since doesn't sell Olds anymore) and everything checks out on it.

I think I'll make an offer later on, since I'm not sure I can sell my Saturn for anything close to what she wants for it, at least $3000. maybe if the tax return is big again... It not like its going anywhere in the meantime :)

The NADA book is $3200 clean retail. The KBB values is $3645 for excellent private party sale.

If I get pics, Ill be sure to post them!

Kbb or not, I personally wouldn't pay the $3k for it

there is no way to tell you if it is a good deal without seeing alot pics on the car, knowing its true running/driving/stopping condition and how much you would be paying for it. If it truly hasn't moved in 6 years you should plan on replacing a lot of this things based on age and lack of use.

Best advice I've read so far:thumbsup: