upgrading alternator and battery

91LuminaEuro

Hey guys with the new stereo going in the monte, I'm concerned about the charging system, I'm looking to upgrade the alt (if possible) and the battery (one with more cold cranking aps etc)

Anyone have part numbers for ones they have and haven't had trouble?

And it is for the l36 in my monte.

I know a lot of guys have upgraded to 160A alternators. I think it's the GM CS160 alternator. Hopefully someone corrects me if I'm wrong about that. The other thing is doing the "Big 3" wiring upgrade. Which is running larger gauge wires for the pos bat cable, neg bat cable, and alternator power cable.

Hey guys with the new stereo going in the monte, I'm concerned about the charging system, I'm looking to upgrade the alt (if possible) and the battery (one with more cold cranking aps etc)

Anyone have part numbers for ones they have and haven't had trouble?

And it is for the l36 in my monte.

The Iceburg alternator is a tank. I have the 170Amp and it's great. Not just a rewound alternator, they make it cool better so it doesn't burn out like re-wound alternators done by company that can do rebuilds. Stay away from ebay junk...

Alternatorparts.com

At one time I was running 1700RMS off the stock CS130D alt in my 'Prix with the big 3 in 4-gauge (1/0 is recommended but i had the 4 laying around,) a stock batt up front and a marine deep-cycle in the back. I did get some voltage drop but it would stabilize quickly (i.e. drum beats would cause a drop, but steady hard bass it would stay about 13V.)

his stock alt for that year (91?) was the 130 though. the 130 d is far better. its hard to get the CS130D to fit on the 2.8/3.1 without carefully machining the housing to fit the bracket , wiring harness modification, a 165 amp stater (the 195 won't charge at idle) and the smallest available pulley. then you can easily charge a dual battery 2000+ watt system. fully maintain it at 14.5 volts with the big 5.

Hm, forgot about that little D. I was told though that the D alts had horribly overrated amperage, and to expect less than 105 amps from it.

You could get a high-output rebuild kit for the CS130 you have.

http://springhillautoelectric.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=37

I am planning on buying a kit from these guys for my D down the road.