headlight trouble

Addicted to eaton

Ok, Most of you know when Grand prix comes with alarm system from the factory that it flashes the lights when you Lock the doors or the alarm goes off.

I have 6k Hid head lights. so for the time being i am locking the car with the button and un-locking the car with the key. So it wont flash the lights.

My problem?

I always unlock/lock my car with the key fob. And i LOVE the flashing lights (kinda like a kid in a toy store)

I also enjoy setting my alarm off for no reason at all.

My Idea

I would like to route it to Flash my fogs and corner lights. Corner lights Only later on. (going to install 6k hid kit in them too.

You should be able to.... I know Taylor modified a car to use the fog lights as DRLs instead of headlamps. You need the wiring diagram to study to figure out how to do it.

I believe there's a write up on it somewhere in the GP site world. I want to say ClubGP. The writeup either routes it to the corners or the fogs, I can't remember which.

Your car has DRL's doesn't it? If so this is a tough one because the headlights are completely controlled by the DRL module. When you press the unlock button, the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) does not turn on the lights. It tells the Body Control Module that you pressed the unlock button. The BCM then unlocks the doors, turns on the interior lights, etc and it tells the DRL module to flash the lights. So you can't just rewire an output from the RCDLR. Even the headlamp switch on the dash is just an input to the DRL module.

The only real way I could see it working is if you cut the headlamp outputs from the DRL module and spliced it to the fog lamps. Then you'd cut the input wire to the DRL module from the headlamp switch and wire it up to turn on a relay that controls the headlamps and your interior lamps. You'd need a relay because the switch cannot carry the high current of the lights without overheating. Your headlamps would then come on when you turn on the headlamp switch like normal and you could get your foglamps to flash with the RKE, however the foglamps would also now be your DRL's since they are turned on from the same output in the DRL module.

Maybe I'm wrong about all this, but this is how I understand the lights to work in these cars with DRL's. If it was me, I'd just have it set so that the lights do not flash at all when the button is pushed. I believe that is an available preference on your car that can be changed with a tech2.

Edited by jman093

iirc...you can look thru the owners manual and change the setting so that the headlights dont flash at all when unlocking the car. I did that in the Regal cause I plan on putting HID's in it soon for the same reason.