thinking about buying this **UPDATED**

douellette

found a 2000 grand prix gt, black 2 door. guy wants $500 for it. i went and checked it out and it needs bother rocker panels, rear brake lines, all rotors (rusted) to be driveable. Has sunroof, steering wheel controls, cloth seats, dual climate control, "gold package", etc. 160k miles on it. i would be able to afford the parts it needs, but what do you guys think? im 99% sure i want it.

*EDIT*

a buddy of mine just informed me he would sell me a pair of monte carlo's for around $1600. One is a 96 LS with 133k miles, semi-basic, i did the intake gaskets on this a few months ago because it was my ex's car lol, the other is a 98 or 99 z34 with high miles, loaded pretty well, 3.8L, but needs some work. which of these two deals (the monte's and the grand prix) do you think is a better deal?

*2nd EDIT*

Im going to look at a 98 regal gs tomorow, black, leather, 160k, they want $1500 obo.

What should i look for specifically on this? possible steal on this?

Edited by douellette

is the chassis rusted in other spots you cant see? usually if the rocker panels are bad the rest of car underneath is in rough shape. but if its a daily driver then $ 500 bucks is a good deal.

is the chassis rusted in other spots you cant see? usually if the rocker panels are bad the rest of car underneath is in rough shape. but if its a daily driver then $ 500 bucks is a good deal.

i jacked it up, and from what i saw it seemed pretty clean. the front control arms have some surface rust on them. the rear strut towers seemed good too, although its going to need new rear struts soon cause they seem to be worn. but the overall frame seems to be fine, and where the trailing arms (or whatever there called) mount to the body dont seem to be rusted too too bad.

i jacked it up, and from what i saw it seemed pretty clean. the front control arms have some surface rust on them. the rear strut towers seemed good too, although its going to need new rear struts soon cause they seem to be worn. but the overall frame seems to be fine, and where the trailing arms (or whatever there called) mount to the body dont seem to be rusted too too bad.

why pay 500 for a rotbox that needs over 1500 bucks in work just to make it safe?

how do you get $1500? i can do pretty much all the work myself. everything but the rockers comes to about $300-$400. and the rocker panels dont have to be done right, right now..just some sheet metal over it to get a sticker.

While I've been the biggest advocate of driving old cars and buying them cheap, if it has rust I don't even consider them. I mean, rocker panels are structural on these cars. If they had a couple bubbles ok, but it sounds like you can stick your arm in them. I'd stay away honestly. If it was solid and it needed all of that other work, then I'd say yes.

If the rockers are that rotted the rest of the car probably has alot of hidden rust. I would stay away.

well, maybe ill check it over one more time again

Id buy it. At least part it out. Alot of people here would rather find a rust free good running car. If it looks good, Runs ok, and drives ok id buy it in a heart beat. But i guess thats not saying much as i have bought Quite a few LOL. Just think this way

-Gold torq star wheels- good/ok shape 300-400$

-rear tail lights Ok shape 30$ Great shape 75$'

-motor 500$ on CL

-Transmission 150-200 on CL

-Head lights/turn signals if there in good shape 50-100

-Cat converter 100 Bucks to a j/y

- Stock exhaust 20-50 on CL

- Hood - 100

- doors - 100

- Trunk lid, and spoiler 50-75

- Calipers 20-30 x4

- Window motors 20-40$ each

- Power window switch 30$

-Sun roof switch/dome lights 25-30$

- seats 20$

- Glass 200$ (for all)

- Sunroof assembly 100$

- turn signal switch 50$

- Instrument cluster 40$

- fog light switch-5

- Dual climate control 30$

- Cd player 30-50$

- Door panels/ dash 30-50 For all

-swrc 10$

- head light switch 10$

- Trunk net 10$

-Fuel pump 100$

- Fuel tank 30-40$

- rear view mirror 25-100 (depending on style)

Pull car to junk yard 65-70$

thats 2240$ in parts. (saying you sold all the parts for the Least that they would go for) see, i would spend two days stripping a car for that price LOL

Bucuse there is still

window regulators 30 each

locks 30 for a set

bumpers 100 each

side effects 30-40

Rear sway bar 20$

Front sway bar 20$

raid 50$

a/c system 50$

Blower 30$

Dic 20$

Fenders 30$

See there is still LOTS more parts

Axles 30$

A-arms 30-40$

abs system 50-100

Bose amp and speakers 30-50$

Ok im stoping you get the point rite? lol

Id buy it. At least part it out. Alot of people here would rather find a rust free good running car. If it looks good, Runs ok, and drives ok id buy it in a heart beat. But i guess thats not saying much as i have bought Quite a few LOL. Just think this way

-Gold torq star wheels- good/ok shape 300-400$

-rear tail lights Ok shape 30$ Great shape 75$'

-motor 500$ on CL

-Transmission 150-200 on CL

-Head lights/turn signals if there in good shape 50-100

-Cat converter 100 Bucks to a j/y

- Stock exhaust 20-50 on CL

- Hood - 100

- doors - 100

- Trunk lid, and spoiler 50-75

- Calipers 20-30 x4

- Window motors 20-40$ each

- Power window switch 30$

-Sun roof switch/dome lights 25-30$

- seats 20$

- Glass 200$ (for all)

- Sunroof assembly 100$

- turn signal switch 50$

- Instrument cluster 40$

- fog light switch-5

- Dual climate control 30$

- Cd player 30-50$

- Door panels/ dash 30-50 For all

-swrc 10$

- head light switch 10$

- Trunk net 10$

-Fuel pump 100$

- Fuel tank 30-40$

- rear view mirror 25-100 (depending on style)

Pull car to junk yard 65-70$

thats 2240$ in parts. (saying you sold all the parts for the Least that they would go for) see, i would spend two days stripping a car for that price LOL

Bucuse there is still

window regulators 30 each

locks 30 for a set

bumpers 100 each

side effects 30-40

Rear sway bar 20$

Front sway bar 20$

raid 50$

a/c system 50$

Blower 30$

Dic 20$

Fenders 30$

See there is still LOTS more parts

Axles 30$

A-arms 30-40$

abs system 50-100

Bose amp and speakers 30-50$

Ok im stoping you get the point rite? lol

idk if i could do that, because i need a daily driver lol. plus i dont think my parents would let me do that at their house...not really anyone in my area thats looking for grand prix parts haha

Depends what those Monte's need and how solid they are. Which one would you save? Do you have room for 2? etc. etc.

Z34 is ftw... but so is a GP GT with a sunroof..... so yeah toss up at this point. What's the story on the Monte's?

Depends what those Monte's need and how solid they are. Which one would you save? Do you have room for 2? etc. etc.

Z34 is ftw... but so is a GP GT with a sunroof..... so yeah toss up at this point. What's the story on the Monte's?

the monte LS has some quarter panel rot, dents in the hood, one of the trailing arm mounts rotted off, but has 4 new tires i put on for the previous owner(my ex gf haha), interior isnt bad shape.

the z34 is pretty rough cause the kid always beat on it, he cut the mufflers off, has an issue with the belt tensioner, interior isnt the cleanest...but i think its pretty rust free.

i mean id much rather have a GP GT but idk, there isnt much for choices here in maine lol