1992 Cutlass Dash Peeling off

DEI

unfortunately not really, the sun has warped the vinyl and it will never fit the same. your only real option is to search junkyards for a good piece, but there is a very slim chance of finding one as they all do this when exposed to the sun.

After they warp you really cannot fix them. Get some tennis balls and stick them between the windshield and the dash where it is warped and let them sit there for a while. Probably won't fix it, but it might help.

I used binder clips (from staples) and it looked just ok. You can see them on mine, since the area I applied them was on the very edge, not covered by anything. This was on my lumina

I'll second what Ken said about the screws. I did that on my cutlass and I got it to look almost perfect again

x3. I used a heatgun to soften up the vinyl, and screws to hold it down. Did it on all 3 Cutlass Supremes and it looks pretty darn good.

You may be able to find one that looks better than yours, and then do the screw trick to PREVENT it from peeling again. This is what I'll have to do with this Ciera. It's peeled up to the point there is a 3/4 inch gap around the entire cluster bezel, the top of the pad is peeled up a full inch near the base of the windshield, and the defrost vent grille had been removed before I got it, but I bet it popped out and got thrown away. The previous owner, God Have Mercy On His Soul, has wood screws all over the driver door panel and other parts of the dash, but it appears he never tried to fix the pad other than to stick a 25-cent 60-sheet mini notebook in between the cluster bezel and the pad to keep it from rattling and squeaking.

When the one in my Z34 started to curl, i took the dash pad out of the car, cleanned the foam backing off the underside of it where it was curling. then i took a heat gun, heated it up really good stretched it back out and held it in place with clamps while i applied a 2 part epoxy to the dash pad itself and to the underside of the vinyl, let it harden a bit, then pulled the vinyl back down onto it, added weight to the dash pad where i epoxied and left it overnight. i haven't had any other issue with it peeling back up since.

That makes a damn good bit of sense, mediabandit, that darn well might work in my case. I'll have to procure a defrost vent to help shape that part, but that should work. And it'll sit in the sun with the weight on it and the epoxy curing at the same time. I need to find someone's old home gym and take the little flat weights out of it or something. Maybe I can find something here at the house. I have bricks but they're too big. I really need something about seven inches long and a couple inches thick. Wait a minute...no...no that wouldn't work and my wife would be upset about not being able to use it in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same problem in my Cutlass. I've been considering the heat gun idea that a couple other posts mentioned. Now that I know it'll work, that will be the next thing to do. :roll:

I had the same problem with my '92 vert dash around the vent. I ended up cutting long, hard, plastic strips that would fit in the lower groove, then after applying epozy to the underside of the dash pad, I drilled holes thru the plastic strips and underlying dash pad and hard plastic base. I rived the plastic strip in several spots to firmly secure the dash pad in its original position. Worked great! I replaced the defroster vent and grille on top with no problems.

I took the whole dash pad out of mine, used some Norton weatherstripping glue (if you need, I can look up the exact part number), and glued it all back together, using a bunch of clamps to hold things together until the glue set overnight.

Looks almost as good as new.