Going to look at a GP...what should i look for?

douellette

as the title says. its a 97 grand prix gt 2 door with 160k for $1500. what should i look for for issues/common problems on it? says it has a new sticker also.

rust, rust and rust: rockers, in the trunk at the top of the strut towers(pull back the carpet), everywhere else.

not to mention check all fluids: dex-cool = teh sucks, oil, tranny fluid brake fluid...

and take it for a test drive to make sure you are comfortable with it...

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/41863-Differences-in-years-97-03-Grand-Prix

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/41509-Thinking-about-buying-a-quot-97-GP-GT-but....

Couple threads that discuss the differences between '97 vs. '98+, as well as the downfalls and what to look for on the '97s.

okay. well the first link has a link in it that doesnt work.

so what would you guys say? should i just pass all together or check it out and look for the common issues?

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/41863-Differences-in-years-97-03-Grand-Prix

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/41509-Thinking-about-buying-a-quot-97-GP-GT-but....

Couple threads that discuss the differences between '97 vs. '98+, as well as the downfalls and what to look for on the '97s.

okay. well the first link has a link in it that doesnt work.

so what would you guys say? should i just pass all together or check it out and look for the common issues?

rust, rust and rust: rockers, in the trunk at the top of the strut towers(pull back the carpet), everywhere else.

not to mention check all fluids: dex-cool = teh sucks, oil, tranny fluid brake fluid...

and take it for a test drive to make sure you are comfortable with it...

What the fuck is with everyones vendetta against Dex-Cool!!?!? There is nothing wrong with it if it was changed in regular intervals AND EVEN if it WASN'T a simple flush that ANY car could benefit from remedies any possible 'sludge'!

What the fuck is with everyones vendetta against Dex-Cool!!?!? There is nothing wrong with it if it was changed in regular intervals AND EVEN if it WASN'T a simple flush that ANY car could benefit from remedies any possible 'sludge'!

I dunno Buck... try having rebuilt TWO cars that had to have every cooling system related part replaced due to dexcool..... I'm trying to say is... IF IT LOOKS BAD AVOID IT.

*SIGH*. Everyone BLAMED it on dex cool, it was really a combination of GM's ass-tastic idea of gaskets and poor maintenance.

yeah thats what i thought it was.

but lets not highjack my thread alright? haha

*SIGH*. Everyone BLAMED it on dex cool, it was really a combination of GM's ass-tastic idea of gaskets and poor maintenance.

total cooling system failure due to complete rust out of all components. those components that did not rust became clogged with rust. Presumably the Dex-cool was too old that it became acidic and ate everything.

My opinion is this. I love Grand Prix's, but 1997's are on my do not buy list.

I also don't think that the price is anything spectacular. I was trying to put my hands on a 1999 Grand Prix GT (without any major blemishes) saftied and E-tested for $1700 Cdn - Mileage - 140,000km, that's about 50K miles less and two years newer and probably a helluva lot less problems off the get-go too.

Anyhow, as mentioned rear strut towers - those will kill your car dead if they are bad, but some other stuff:

-Blower Resistor (make sure the fan works on all settings)

-Turning Signal (Does that work crisp - has it been replaced?)

-Gas tank - has that been replaced.

-Rear Struts (Shocks) - have they been replaced

-Have a look at the coolant - if it tastes watery add more Kool-Aid mix.

Around here 1997 Grand Prix's are a dime a dozen!