Electronic Climate control vacuum Woes!

bender01

My 91 olds cutlass wont switch the air vents between upper or lower. I disconected the vaccum arm so I can flip it to upper by hand. When i use the switch on the dash I can see it retreat back into the vacuun box?? But it will not push up. There is also another similar looking arm and vacuum box also but I dont know what it is. I cant move it by hand nor does it budge at any dash button. Its not a fuse that I can find. Is there a hose coming from the engine side. Is this an electronic vacuum? I see where the vacuum line goes to a small strip under the dash. All looks clean. It was slamming open and closed quite loudly when it worked. Then it just stopped!I dont even know what the parts Im looking at are called.Any clues,tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

most likely you have a broken vacuum hose under the hood. check: presence of the vacuum ball under the driver's side of the bumper, 3 way check valve near the master cylinder, routing off the hose to the vac ball and all...

the "vacuum box"... is it where you can see several different colors of vacuum hose coming together into a long wide slender box? that box is the actuator for the vacuum motors that actuate all the HVAC blend doors of the HVAC box.. I *think* the purple wire comes from the engine, so if you unhook it you should feel suction.

Thanks ,

The actuator is that strip I described. I will look for the vacuum Leak with your tips! This has to be simple.I will post back my findings. Is theyre a place to see Vacuum line route ? I have a Haynes manual and wish Id never bought it!! Thanks again

Ben

Found it! Thankyou CrazyK! It was the three way under the hood near the battery. the line heading to the ball was cracked and already taped up by the pevious owner. Im not sure how it attached to the ball but i dead ended it with electrical tape and all is working again. Thanks

Ben

The vacuum ball is a vacuum reservoir for the system; without it there may not always be enough vacuum for the hvac or the cruise control on your car, which also uses that same vacuum line, to function.

I suggest you look at fixing it as soon as you can, you should be able grab a good hose from a j/y donor easily.