Is there a way to light my gauges like this?

visitor

These are out of a 2000 cadillac seville. I have a 1993 gp ste, wanting to do my gauges similar to this, is there any way to do this? (within reason) What i am referring to is the lighting of it. Behind a dark tinted plexi (thats no problem), it lights up with no light bleed through, etc..

Any suggestions?

I first saw that type of lighting on the 90s Lexus and had thought about doing that on my truck. The only way I can think of to do it is to use bright bulbs (preferably LEDs) and use a tint film on the plastic lens. I never bothered to try it on my truck and now I don't care enough to try it.

Yeah my SRX lights up the same way, its really nice. I was always thinking of those glow in the dark over lays, but I think you would to do some modding and make some Frankenstein one yourself. Maybe look online to see how they work? Or get one from a salvage yard and piece it back together in a spare w-body cluster. Only other option is get the older somewhat digital gauge from a GP. I had it, it was ok. I went back to the rally gauge after a while.

Bit of an update for you all- I actually decided to go with an lcd screen for gauges. It will actually be composed of 3 screens, left/right screens for gauges, middle gauge for nav display/night vision. Ill have pics of the progress up if anyone cares to follow. (ive done several car pc's in the past, but this is my first attempt at something like this.)

Boot up times can be reduced to almost nothing. (as its a VERY simple car pc, with one singular purpose) beyond that, i am looking into making a timer of sorts. It will preemptivly start up about 5 minutes before my daily commute. Combine that with a power supply that does not can stand up to the split second power resets during cranking, I think it will be ok :)

power supply that does not can stand up to the split second power resets

wut?

and how about integrating a small battery backup like one of the APC units in front of it? that would keep it from losing power.

wut?

and how about integrating a small battery backup like one of the APC units in front of it? that would keep it from losing power.

Confused, or trying to be a smartass? :( Here, let me rephrase that for you- When you crank the car, the available voltage drops. I just need a power supply that can handle the voltage drop. that clearer?

Yes a small battery backup would likely work, Or just use a dedicated battery for it..

"that does not can stand up" is a phrase that does not compute.

and i know about the voltage drop, the GP usually dips around 9 to 10 momentarily while cranking.

"that does not can stand up" is a phrase that does not compute.

and i know about the voltage drop, the GP usually dips around 9 to 10 momentarily while cranking.

ah i see, a snarky comment based upon me not proofreading. glad you could be of value to this discussion, really.:roll: grow up.

To be honest, Robert had a point. That little typo made that sentence make absolutely no sense. I wasn't sure what you were trying to say.

glad you could be of value to this discussion, really.:roll: grow up.

If boot up times are next to nothing, why would you need to start it 5-minutes before your commute? I've considered doing the same, I just don't know how to make it practical. IMO, it has to boot in less than 5-seconds to be practical. Sleep mode could work, but computers don't always reliably come out of sleep and it often takes >5 seconds. It's something I've wanted since the 07 Mercedes S550 came out (and Ford Fusion Hybrid has something similar as well), but I'm pretty sure they use embedded systems to avoid the impracticality of using a PC.