L67 Manual question

Mitternacht

I heard that if you wanted to do an L67 swap, and you wanted a six-speed, that you could use a F40 transmission from the G6 GXP. Does anyone know if this is correct?

The 6speed is more difficult to swap in but feels a lot nicer than a 282/284. Check the sig.

that came up in chat last night actually... did you ever make a thread detailing it?

The 6speed is more difficult to swap in but feels a lot nicer than a 282/284. Check the sig.

I'd appreciate it if you can shed some light on swapping the F40 in.

Well its a lot like the 282/284 swap except theres a few more things youll have to do like make custom trans mounts, have custom axles made, have custom clutch made, cut a section out of the unibody, Make custom mount for g6 clutch master or adapt gp master, mount g6 shifter and probably some other things. Its been a while since i did the swap. Ill tell you though this trans has horrible gearing for an l67. if i were you i would just swap in a 282. Its probably 100x easier to do and the gearing is better for the l67

The 282 is mounted behind the 2.8 cars and the 284 is mounted behind the 3.4 cars from the factory... They have different gearing but the 284 is much harder to find and also is impossible to find parts for...

282 is smaller, different gear ratios.

you can actually buy 282 parts, get one rebuilt. clutches are WAY cheaper, clutch hydraulics are cheaper.

Yeah the 282 can take a lot of power! I've never seen one break. I've seen subframes break and axles snap long before the transmission will fail. In fact I've seen the transmission break apart at it's mounting point before any of the intervals fail. And that's only when you have 500hp and solid motor mounts.. An even that can be avoided if you mount it at more than one spot.

You happen to have any 282's?

Nope, I only have 284 stuff. I have a few odds and ends that are interchangeable. your best bet is to find a 88-90 GP or cutlass with a 5 speed and use it for parts.

I would use a 282 for all of the cost related issues mentioned above. They arent quite as heavy duty as a 284, but as long as you arent dumping the clutch you shouldn't be exploding intermediate shafts and the like.