Gas Tank Replaced

Dannymik

I located a gas leak in my tank. No w I need to have it fixed before the winter. Has anyone done this or had it done that can give me a price quote. I'm probably going to call around, I just need a heads up.

w-body.jpg

Bottomed out or rust? Ouch.

Well, I've personally done a fuel tank at home and it wasn't that big a deal.

But if you're not looking to do the work, you'll probably expect in the high 400+ range or more.

- Erik

Your probably going to be better off getting a new tank. Your old one has already rused a hole in it in one place. whos to say there will be another hole in a few weeks right next to it or in other places.

Rust is a big problem here also. I replaced my tank and filler tube at the same time, used an aftermarket tank and a GM tube, total cost was about 160 CDN. for parts. Sure you can do the labor yourself no special tools required, just some patience and saftey glasses. A lift or hoist would be nice, but a couple of good drive on ramps would do. Make sure you have some good penetrating oil/fluid on hand.

I think I'm going to do the gas tank myself. Now is it recommended to replace the fuel pump or sending unit while I'm in the process of doing this? As for the fuel filter do they these cars have the plastic or a metal quick connector? It said in the haynes manual that you need a special tool for the metal connector. My car is a '95 Cutlass Supreme. So far I found new aftermarket tanks from $77 to $93 on the web. ANy help is key to my future job here! thanks

w-body.jpg

You might replace the fuel pump while you've got the tank out.

Who knows, your existing pump might last a long long time, so it's your call. If you foresee performance mods in the future, then I would recommend replacing the stock pump with a Walbro 255lph pump. They are only $90 or so.

I don't know that the sender would need to be replaced. I don't think they are a common fail item on W-bodies. Of all the W-bodies I have (two over 180,000 miles), I've never had a sender fail.

95 should have the plastic connections at the fuel filter if I recall correctly. Even if it had the metal fittings, 2 open end wrenches is all you need to disconnect them.

I'm in the same boat as you, thats one of the reasons I'm putting my cutty up for sale. At first I was gonna replace the tank and fuel pump (just to be on the safe side) but the following week the car almost killed me for the second time in 4months. I decided it wasn't worth dumping $400+ if I did the work myself or 800+ to have a garage to it. Damn NY rust :?

Well...I dont think I'll have the time or patience to do the fuel tank, fuel filter, and possibly the sending unit. I called around for all this done with the labor and I was told that it would be about $400. The garage told me that the sending unit is like a crap shoot and almost always needs to be replaced.

Then a different shop (FIRESTONE) quoted me $209 for the tank and about $150 for the labor. Not including the sending unit. There fucking crazy :twisted: ! I hate trying to figure out where they get there prices from. Fuck Firestone, your nothing but a bunch of blood sucking whores :!:

The way I figure, the shop that quoted me $400 is fair and could save me a huge headache. How do all you members feel?

w-body.jpg

Well it was replaced today. So they put in a new tank, new straps, new fuel filter, and sprayed undercoating on it. Total with labor was $330(including 8.25% NY bullshit sales tax). What do you think?

• 1 month later...

I've fixed a leak on my gas tank before. I've used plugs, jb weld, etc and they all fall out in time. Raise the car high and put jackstands around the car.

I emptied the gas from the gas tank to a big 5 gallon gas can. Took the gas tank out by myself and then took out the fuel pump/sender out. Poured some water with a hose on the tank and cleaned the inside of the gas tank. There was a lot of gunk and debris inside it. I emptied the water and poured some water again and emptied 3/4 of the water. Cleaned the leak area with a brush wire and sand paper. I got me a portable torch (two tank type) and copper rod.

Leak was sealed and tried to put more water on the tank to see if it leaks and it didn't leak at all. Emptied the water as much as I could and put back the fuel pump/sender then I put back gas tank.

Poured back the remaining gas and poured some water remover (the thing you use to remove water from the gas tank during winter).

I think it is better to buy a used gas tank from a junkyard which is around $40-50 which includes the fuel pump/sender rather than fixing the leak on your current gas tank.

I had to get my gas tank replaced inorder for the muffler shop i was going to to replace my mufflers and cat. He didnt want to be welding and to go boom...It was weird cause before i did it i could actually smell the gas after i was done driving the car for a while. Mine too was because of rust.

hahahaha you Yankees don't know what tax is............... :lol:

In Canada there is a Nation wide tax called the Goods and Service Tax (GST) and its 8% on everything you buy here

In Ontario alone there is a provincial Sales Tax of 8% on almost everything........

We have Free Health Care because of these taxes though..... :)

Dave

Then I guess it ain't exactly free is it.