Radiator fan CFM on 1st and 2nd gens?

slick

Does anyone happen to know what the dual fan setups, on these cars, are rated for, as far as CFM, and amperage rating? To break it down more, what is the CFM of each fan?

Thanks,

Chris

couldn't amperage be calculated from the resistance of the leads?

and i can't guarantee it, but i think even duke lumis had duals...

Yeah, I suppose I could measure amperage with my meter that I have, if a junkyard car had a battery and would run.

However, mostly interested in CFM.

just went out and measured resistance at the relays on the MC and GP:

MC: both had ~4ohms resistance to ground

GP: primary had 3.3 and secondary had 15....

that seems incredibly wrong though.

an aftermarket direct replacement manufacturer MIGHT have CFM ratings...

As a general rule, I do a "feel" test.

If the fan is running, and I can't feel air from it back at the firewall, I replace the fan motor.

Not a good specific test, but generally speaking, if it's not moving enough air for me to feel it back there, it's not moving enough air to cool.

Ok, lemme rephrase the question, since this isn't going anywhere.

The belt and clutch driven fan in my Xterra pulls a maximum 2500 CFM. I want to convert to electric, looking for different possibilities with similar, or higher cfm.

Anyways, late 80's/early 90's Taurus's with the 3.8 radiator fans are supposed to pull around 4000 cfm, so I'll just go that route...

Ok, lemme rephrase the question, since this isn't going anywhere.

The belt and clutch driven fan in my Xterra pulls a maximum 2500 CFM. I want to convert to electric, looking for different possibilities with similar, or higher cfm.

Anyways, late 80's/early 90's Taurus's with the 3.8 radiator fans are supposed to pull around 4000 cfm, so I'll just go that route...

You might also want to consider the T-Bird(only in the 4.6 cars IIRC)/Mark VIII fans as well, they are rated at 4500 cfm. They're a bit larger in size though. There are some side-by-side comparison photos here of two fans if you're interested: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/736313-mark-viii-vs-taurus-fan-pics-anyone-trying-decide-get.html

Huh... I may have to look at that option then. As with noted in that post with the Taurus shroud, it wouldn't cover mine entirely either. That may be a better option.

be careful with those, they draw alot of amps. i looked into them when i did that mod to my truck. i think i read an article that they draw 60 amps. i ended up buying a single 16" that draws only 9 amps and flows 2350cfm.

be careful with those, they draw alot of amps. i looked into them when i did that mod to my truck. i think i read an article that they draw 60 amps. i ended up buying a single 16" that draws only 9 amps and flows 2350cfm.

They might spike that high when turning on in some cases, but they shouldn't draw that much.

http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/TaurusMarkVIIIrelay.html