oil pan won't come off!

Myotis1134

Replaced my transmission gasket easily, but I'm on the oil pan now, and what a pain in the ass so far. I have removed everything I need to for access, and have pulled all the bolts out of the pan so it's moving around, but is caught up near the flywheel. I can see some sort of big ass retainer that prevents the flywheel-end of the pan from falling down, but I can't figure out how to release it. If someone doesn't tell me how to work this bastard by tomorrow, i'm going to just rip it out.

GM service manual says the oil pan is only removable with the engine out of the vehicle. you may be able to seperate the engine from the subframe and lower the subframe slightly to get enough clearance.

My bad, should have clarified. I currently have no sub-frame on the vehicle, and the engine and transmission are suspended from an engine-hoist. I am near the end of replacing the sub-frame, and figured what the hell- might as well fix a few things while it's open. I did the transmission gasket yesterday, and most of the oil pan today, but the bastard is hanging up on something between it and the flywheel, and I can't figure out how to get it loose. I did crank on it, but stopped before it got out of hand. the oil pan has no bolts in it, and I can move it slightly so I know there are no more bolts, but some kind of retainer clip is not allowing it to come loose. I swear if this turns out to be something simple I'm going to be pissed.

Seriously people, I don't have a clue on how to get this thing out. To specify a little more, this is happening on a 1991 Chevy Lumina Euro 3.1. I'm about to dink around with it some more, but I'm starting to lean towards brute force.

I'm wondering if one of the crank throws is catching something inside the pan...have you tried rotating the crank a little by hand?

Thinking only 96+ LQ1s had the oil level sensor...

This is a LH0...not thinking there is a oil level sensor.

Got it off. Turned out to be one last bolt in the pan waaaaaay back between the transmission where I couldn't see the bastard. What I thought was a retainer, turned out to be just that, but it had one last bolt as well ( only it was so caked with shit that I didn't know it was there until I started scraping). Sorry for the false alarm, but needless to say I feel like an idiot. Thanks people.