Help! My glovebox is locked!

visitor

I have a 1993 grand prix STE I bought as a storage lean car. The glovebox is locked and I cant get it open! (has the comination lock) How do I open it?

Thanks so so much

good thing there are only 3 dials, eh? that's only 1000 combinations, get crackin!

the only thing the factory has to say is that there is a little feeler guage key with notches on one end. you're supposed to insert it on the right side of the dials and rotate until the key seats. where it stops is the correct location for that dial. do it for all three and you're done. i have NEVER seen this key, but it sounds fairly simple to make.

those locks are simply the easiest things to figure out.

get directly in front of the combination wheels. you might need a little flashlight. start turning them to (IIRC) the right of each wheel you'll see little teeth keep turning the wheel till they disappear, then repeat for the next 2 digits. and you have the combination.

get directly in front of the combination wheels. you might need a little flashlight. start turning them to (IIRC) the right of each wheel you'll see little teeth keep turning the wheel till they disappear, then repeat for the next 2 digits. and you have the combination.

Like in the gaps in between numbers?

You might get lucky.....the default combo is 0-0-0 if no one has ever altered the combination. Once you do get the combination you can reset it to whatever you want by.....open the glovebox door.....slide the release latch to the right and hold it there as you slide the yellow lever to the right of the tumblers up. Now you can reset the combination...afterwards slide the lever down and release the latch, and the new combination is set.

Just for fun, I should test that with my lock.

Just for fun, I should test that with my lock.

It worked beautifully :D

All I found was a few bottles of prescrition pills from 1999, and the owners manual, etc.

Glad to see that it worked great. Funny story for some reason I had one sitting around the house out of the car, we were sitting around drinking one night, I was challenging my far more sober friends to set ANY combo on it and I could get it in a matter of 30 seconds or less. It screwed with them for a good hour or so before they caught onto my game. :P