2006 Impala SS Questions

Hairdo12

Tomorrow morning I'm going to look at and try to make a deal for a 2006 Impala SS. I've done my research on what to look for... however what do you guys know of with this car that I should defently keep an eye out for? It has every option other than leather seats... fine with me because I have a 2 year old who would make swiss cheese out of leather.

Oh that means I will be selling my Lumina... I'll make a forsale thread about it at another time if this turns out well tomorrow. I'd hope it would go to someone here because I will send it to the crusher before I sell it to some kid to destroy.

Non leather was standard in 2006. 2007 + leather was standard. If all goes well today, I'll be posting pictures.... To be safe I'll anticipate not getting it so I'm not disappointed.

Ahh, found a picture of one with cloth. Never seen that before, good luck on the purchase! Compnine says 936 cars with black cloth :thumbsup:

Took a look today. That thing has crazy power. I mean seriously it was nuts how powerful that thing was.

Bad things right off the bat turned me off...

1 steering clunks in the intermediate shaft.

2 all four tires are completly bald, checked the dates of manufacture on them and they indicate an early 2008 install so someone was roasting the tires on this thing. One tire had a nail in it.

3 tons of coolant sludge build up on the inside of the coolant bottle. I'm not sure if that is a bad thing, the coolant looks OK and so did the oil; however I've never seen that before.

4 check engine light was on. Ugh of course sales man doesn't know why. "because we don't inspect the cars when they come in, just as we sell them" However they have plenty of time to detail the cars....

5 the car has rusted out flowmasters that won't make it past the winter here in Buffalo

Yeah its a 2006 and I expect it to not be perfect... however I need the car to be reliable as my 2004 Sunfire that I'm looking to trade (only 32k miles if anyone is interested, don't forget I'm selling the Lumina too soon). They off crap for warranty too, 60 day 3000 miles. I asked why they couldn't stand by their cars for at least 12 months and I was told I should be looking for a brand new car instead. I am OK with the slight paint chips on the front bumper, but not all the mechanical portions and signs of abuse.

Oh well... I'm going to keep searching. I have a lead on another one closer to home, sorry guys it has leather seats though.

I love the newer Impy SSs. I want one to be my DD eventually.

But holy shit, it sounds like that thing was beat on bad. My 15 year old GP that was neglected by its college kid owner presented better than that when I went to look at it...

Wow, that thing sounded like it had a rough life. What kind of dealer was this? "we don't inspect cars as they come in." I understand that...if they decide to wholesale the car. But offer it THROUGH them, and not go through a safety check? Shady

I originally found it though autotrader. Once I found out the web site while I was there, I wasn't surprised one bit when I found out the condition of the car:

http://www.crazycheapcars.com/CarDetails.asp?c=CRAZYCHEAPCARS&VIN=2G1WD58C569256426&color=White&transmission=Automatic&year=2006&make=Chevrolet&model=Impala

Any one know what the huge sludge buildup in the coolant bottle was? As I said the coolant looked OK and so did the oil... but that could have been flushed out for the sale. It wasn't just a film or a little bit, it was about a quarter of an inch think and all around the upper half of the bottle.

Wow, that thing sounded like it had a rough life. What kind of dealer was this? "we don't inspect cars as they come in." I understand that...if they decide to wholesale the car. But offer it THROUGH them, and not go through a safety check? Shady

No kidding. My '01 GTP had 112k miles on it when I bought it, and it came with a 3mth/3k mile warranty FREE. You could buy longer coverage, but that first part was included with every car purchase. I also ran into similar warranties from several dealers while searching for a car. That's absolutely absurd that they're treating an '06 like it's 15 years old, and you should EXPECT a bunch of problems. "You should be looking for a new car". Pffft. I would have had some choice words for that jackass if he had said that to me.

Edited by RareGMFan

, sorry guys it has leather seats though.

leather is actually MUCH easier to keep clean with kids.......I would actually look for a Monte SS or a GXP over an Impala SS anyway as they are definitely the most bland of the three as they look just like very other fleet Impala out there...

leather is actually MUCH easier to keep clean with kids.

I agree with that. Spills and whatnot clean up much easier with basically just wiping them off the leather. Instead of it seeping into the cloth seat :mad:

Any one know what the huge sludge buildup in the coolant bottle was? As I said the coolant looked OK and so did the oil... but that could have been flushed out for the sale. It wasn't just a film or a little bit, it was about a quarter of an inch think and all around the upper half of the bottle.

If I had to guess, I'd say the previous owner mixed green coolant into the Dexcool at some point, which will eventually cause a brownish, sludge like build up.

Rip tide blue?

Im calling it that because its the same color on the tahoes, escalades that they used. Changed from blue to green depending on the lighting.

Meh just saw its called Blue Green Crystal. Rip tide is cadillacs name.:roll:

Not the car but to get a picture

post-1314-143689048237_thumb.jpg