What's a 96 CS w/70k worth?

supreme_style21

I HATE to ask this kind of question. Local car lot has a '96 CS coupe with 70k for sale. I'm tempted to trade my '98 camaro for it. I've got 114k on it. I'm not at all attached to my car and kinda miss the w cars.

The place is asking SIX GRAND for this CS. It's nothing special, just has the usual power options. Just a clean, low mileage Olds. Since I always get a low-mileage boner for older cars, I figured I'd better ask some opinions first before I waste my time going to talk to them. What do you think the thing should sell for? I'd love to trade even for it.. is that irrational?

No, its worth about 1500-2000 bucks honestly... 6 grand is outfuckingragous for that car... You should be able to trade even, however, your car you have now should be worth more

According to Kelley Blue Book... that dealer is on crack. KBB says with every option (you said it doesn't have all of them) and 70,000 miles, "suggested retail value" is $3,995. Personally, I don't think I'd pay a dime over $2,500 with every option. There's a lot more cost effective ways to get back into Ws than that car.

you must be on drugs

for what?

I know they're high. I'm more or less wondering if it's worth an even trade for a '98 v6 camaro with 114k on it that likes to throw an SES light ever 500 miles. I really don't like my car. I'm tired of highschool kids revving up next to me, wanting to race, at every stoplight every time I go somewhere. I hate my ass draggin on the ground. It runs good but jeez I'm sick of it.

Book prices are almost a waste of time to me. Between 3 different sites, my car books for 2600-4700 retail. Really?

So I know the dealer is on crack. How do you deal with someone like that? I don't want to piss them off and have 'em tell me to f*ck off. I'm really irrational and I'd end up getting myself kicked out.

You can trade your camaro and tell them to give you $1k

haha I do like that idea. But does that work at a car lot? I know I'm worth a little more, but I do value lower mileage over age/make/model.

Do it and see what happens! Do you have a v8 camaro?

nooo, it's the girl v6 camaro, so I'm not butthurt about getting rid of it. it's such a dog of a car.. a ford focus could kick my ass I think.

i kinda want a focus

/derail

major derail. You don't want a focus. You're just drunk. It'll be better in the morning.

It's an RS up until.. 97? Then it's a 'sport appearance package' I've learned. I'm still calling it an RS.

I'm probably no better than anyone else, but what does wanting a Focus have anything to do with the issue at hand?? Seriously, it's not even comic relief or anything.

My opinion is simply this:

Never be afraid to ask.

If you think that your camaro is worth a straight up trade + $1000, ask for it.

The worst thing the guy can do is tell you no. I would suggest that it's not worth $1000. That Cutlass is likely inspected and ready to go, your car will need money, it'll need a bearing or something stupid upon inspection in order to sell. The other reality is that demographics might be against your camaro, if no one wants one down there. Guess what used car detailers don't want one on their lot regardless of KBB value.

Personally, I would suggest offering your car up for trade here first. Maybe you'll drum up some interest??

ahha

http://autos.keepitlocal.com/inventory/details.asp?vt=0&CarID=1297594

http://fargo.craigslist.org/ctd/1773021959.html

It's for sale at a different dealership now, for a higher price. I dunno why this place would keep the ad up if they don't have the car anymore, but gives me some bargaining power haha.

Edited by supreme_style21

Just went and took it for a spin. Needs rotors. The HVAC stops blowing when you get on the gas (vac leak?) and there is a little rust bubbling up on the drivers door sill. Ashtray cover is missing and some knobs on the stock radio are gone. Otherwise it's really clean and seems to run perfect. I told him I'm looking at an even trade.. he didn't flinch and said he'd run it by his boss at another location.. so he took my car and came back and said I'd have to come back in an hour because the guy is at lunch. So, we'll see. I'm definitely not paying a penny in trade tho.

Not to hijack, but is your Camaro running right? I worked on plenty of those when I was at the dealership and they ran good. With a little work they can embarrass plenty of sports cars. Have you replaced the fule filter and such in a while? A clogged fuel filter used to really kill those things.

What a joke. You can get a 95-96 BMW 3 or 5 series for that price with that mileage.

Sorry, but 1st Gen w-body maintenance and repair costs > mid 90's BMW anything maintenance and repair costs

Not to hijack, but is your Camaro running right? I worked on plenty of those when I was at the dealership and they ran good. With a little work they can embarrass plenty of sports cars. Have you replaced the fule filter and such in a while? A clogged fuel filter used to really kill those things.

Yeah it runs just fine. I just keep getting an SES light for an O2 sensor I refuse to replace. It gets awesome gas mileage and still has some balls, but I'm not sure I'd embarrass many cars with it.

What's matt's car? Who's matt? Sorry I haven't been around here much lately. I'd love to trade for a lower mileage w-car. I miss 'em. :dance: