Newer steering column in a car?

visitor

Quick question- I have a 1993 grand prix ste, it has the steering wheel controls, and it just seems so.. dated. question I have is- if i pull a column out of a newer 4 door gp (94-96 ish) can I bolt it right up? I do not care if the airbag works, so thats not an issue.. Only thing im thinking about is the multifunction switch, etc.. How hard is this?

the physical mounting is different. the upper holes will not line up.

TIP: look at the other 3 model lines of 88-93 w-cars. notice they all have the multifunction switch? You could adapt one of those as long as you are also willing to route all the wires necessary.

Theyre right the newer columns will not bolt up to the MAG bracket. Which is why i had to drill and tab holes for my column when i did my 5speed swap.

07f64b0b.jpg

how about a wheel from a different model of car? maybe a 90 firebird wheel?

wait... these cars are dated, anyhow.... FAIL!

No argument there. however that doesnt mean that you cant make an effort to make it look more appealing to your eye..

IMO, the 89-93 SWC steering wheels may look dated, but they are at least retro-modern and unique. 94-96 steering wheels look dated with their bloated oversized airbags and just plain, boring, and cheap. Maybe I am just extra geeky, but I think backlit buttons looks way more cool than a large expanse of bulging vinyl.

IMO, the 89-93 SWC steering wheels may look dated, but they are at least retro-modern and unique. 94-96 steering wheels look dated with their bloated oversized airbags and just plain, boring, and cheap. Maybe I am just extra geeky, but I think backlit buttons looks way more cool than a large expanse of bulging vinyl.

I can see where you are coming from. I am actually looking into an 04+ steering wheel. Need to find out if it mounts the same.