A/C Vent Question

Danspeed1

Hello,

I have a 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34 with single zone heating and air conditioning. Recently my vents stopped functioning correctly. No matter what setting I have the A/C zones on, the air always comes out of the defroster vents, and the floor. How should I tackle this?

DG

You check it with a vacuum pump? The plastic lines can crack where you don't see it. Hook a pump (like a Mity-Vac hand pump) up to each line coming out of the TB and see if it holds vacuum. Also check the check-valve and vacuum ball. It's classic symptoms of a vacuum leak.

you HAVE a vacuum leak.

areas to check:

make sure the vacuum ball under the driver's side of the bumper has not fallen off. make sure it's line is attached.

under the master cylinder area is a check valve. sometimes that check valve breaks.

Ok, I will take a look and post back results. The lines under the dash are ok... already checked those, but I will take a look at the vacuum lines in the engine compartment.

DG

Sorry, you guys were right... I am having an unusually hard time solving this problem though.

When I detach the brown vacuum hose from the passenger side "valve/solenoid" (not really sure what its called) and attach it to my vacuum pump, it pulls the vents to the dash which is where I want them to be. When I shut the pump off, the air goes back to the floor and defroster. When I put my finger over the end of the solenoid/valve thing, I do not feel any vacuum.

I am having a really hard timing finding a vacuum diagram that shows all the locations of the vacuum lines and defines which one does what. When I look in my engine compartment I cannot even find the line that leads into the car. Any ideas where it might be?

P.S. I found the vacuum ball in the fender well, how do I test it?

DG

I usually just look for cracks in the lines and fittings.

Otherwise, my vacuum leak check is run the engine, at idle, in park, pop the hood, and using some carb cleaner, spray the vacuum lines, and listen for any engine speed variation. If it jumps around, there's your leak.

I'm pretty sure the 1.5 gens are the same, but there are some vacuum lines and T's down under the washer bottle by the battery, that are notorious for failing.