Speaker Problem

GP1138

I have a problem with the stock speakers and head unit in my '89 GP LE.

First off, the speakers in the front left and rear left stopped working except minimally this morning. No excessive vibrations or anything, just stopped working. If I turn the balance all the way to the left, and turn the radio up, I can hear sound, but minimally.

Any thoughts?

when you turn the balance all the way to the left, does the volume increase or decrease as you change it? well either way i think ur deck may be fucked. a loose connection would either cuase a short or for the speaker(s) to not play anything at all

when you turn the balance all the way to the left, does the volume increase or decrease as you change it? well either way i think ur deck may be fucked. a loose connection would either cuase a short or for the speaker(s) to not play anything at all

when we did the radio in my bros car we didnt tape up the speaker wire n some times the ends would connect causin u to not be able to hear the speaker unless turned up load n when we fixed this problem we left with another problem leavin the wires to come loos over bumbs doin the same thing described above

Solder, crimp, or tie. No excuses for having to reconnect after a bump in the road, and it's hell on your deck and speakers. I understand you have hard time with spelling and sentence structure, but please, for the love of GOD, use a spell check.

If it were the speaker you would hear distortion and cracking. It MAY be a poor connection, but likely it is in the deck.

Naw this is all factory, no aftermarket whatsoever. I need to get a new head unit, how hard is it to install? I want to get a minidisc unit with a CD changer, or just a straight Sony MP3 deck. That'd be nice. The stock speakers are good enough for my use. Right now I just have the balance moved to the left almost all the way, so you can hear the left channel just enough to almost not notice that the right rear speaker dominates the mix.

in an 89? its a bitch if you have that 2 piece crap....if your deck is a single unit its a differnt story. in fact i think if its a single unit then theres no "head" unit mounted behind the glove box

I would go MP3 unless you already have a mini disk recorder.

The stock speakers in my Lumina held up pretty well to a 45x4 powered Pioneer CD player. Factory speakers will wear eventually under higher powered head units.

I have no idea how involved it is to pull the stock unit out of a GP. The lumina was just removing the big frickin trim plate from the dash.

Naw this is all factory, no aftermarket whatsoever. I need to get a new head unit, how hard is it to install? I want to get a minidisc unit with a CD changer, or just a straight Sony MP3 deck. That'd be nice. The stock speakers are good enough for my use. Right now I just have the balance moved to the left almost all the way, so you can hear the left channel just enough to almost not notice that the right rear speaker dominates the mix.

I used to use MiniDisc, but I'd recommend an MP3 deck.

You can fit nearly 10-whole CD's onto one disc. Plus, a 52x burner only costs $20 and can burn a CD in no time flat.