Chinski

My car is running rich. I smell it mostly while ideling but I am guessing it is doing it most of the time since my gas mileage has been down a little. Plugs/wires are realitivly new and have no visible problems. Fuel filter is only a year old and I just changed my O2 sensor. The sensor helped a bit, the old one was only a year old but I think it was a cheapo one. I did notice it was rather black when I took it out. IAC has just been cleaned too. Any ideas? I'm planning to get some top engine cleaner when I have time to make it to the Chevy dealer and see if that helps.

How rich? Black smoke rich?

GM does run the ECM on the rich side to prevent frying piston rings and the like.

Tip: clean the interior of your exhaust pipe; drive around for a week and swipe your finger on the inside.

If there's little or any soot on your finger you're doing just fine.

- Erik

Its not smoking, just more noticible over the last month or so. I do get a litlte bit of soot in the tailpipe. I notice the smell when i start it up and sometimes at stop signs, also if I accelerate quickly.

Well, that makes sense. The computer tells the car to run rich at stop light and definitely when you get it on good. You prolly have a small hole in you exhaust pipes or where it goes into the muffler and the smell is coming in the car. I had that same problem

Robby

Well, today I noticed my SES light flash on for a couple seconds...guess I'll see if I get a code.

If it came on, you should get a code. Did it flash on when you let off the gas??

Robby

I was at a stop light when it came on and then back off. I checked for a code but got nothing. I'll have to see if it does it again sometime.

That can't be right... if you get a SES light, then the code will be stored.

If it's at a stoplight after you've released the gas pedal, I'm leaning towards a faulty / dirting EGR.

Robby, what do you think?

- Erik

I was at a stop light when it came on and then back off. I checked for a code but got nothing. I'll have to see if it does it again sometime.

So it went off when you hit the gas right?? If so, Im willing to bet its you EGR

Robby

Yeah, now that I think of it more it did go off when I hit the gas. When I was checking the code I lost the short part way through, before this happened I did think I saw 3 flashes and then something...so it could verry well have been the EGR code.

Yeah, now that I think of it more it did go off when I hit the gas. When I was checking the code I lost the short part way through, before this happened I did think I saw 3 flashes and then something...so it could verry well have been the EGR code.

I think the EGR code is 35. But I do think its your EGR

Robby