need serious help with the gtp

swift13

ok so i go out to my car a few months ago and it starts but dies right away so i do the typical checks ended up changing the fuel pump fpr and filter didnt fix the problem. changed the vacuum lines didnt do it. I got no codes showing at this time so i decide to change the pcm i find one at the j/y from a 98 L36 (mine is a 98 L67) i put it in and all is well ...so i think come to find that i no longer have a boost gauge and i feel a lack of power. so im thinking my s/c isnt working. i get another. my pulley had about a quarter inch of play. still didnt fix it. new crank sensor also didnt work.

so basically i have a gtp but when a gtp pcm is in it it doesnt work i have to have a non gtp flash or pcm in it for the car to work.

also with the l36 pcm you are literally killing your engine, 33# injectors on a 22# tune..... different compression, different map sensor configuration,

my gas mileage has greatly improved since i have been running the L36 pcm not sure why. any ways about the passkey...why would it not work on the gtp pcm and work fine on the base pcm and also how would i fix this if it is the problem.

also with the l36 pcm you are literally killing your engine, 33# injectors on a 22# tune..... different compression, different map sensor configuration,

And with an L36 PCM it's also not letting your Boost Bypass Valve close....You need an L67 tune.

Your lack of power is most likely coming from the fact that with an L36 computer in a supercharged car, it has no idea what to do with the boost, nor can it control the boost bypass valve. The computer is also set up for different gear ratio, injectors, MAF and MAP sensor readings. Put that all together, and it's a miracle the thing runs with that PCM period.

As for your initial problem, I don't think your problem lies in the PCM itself. Did you try ohm-ing out the injectors to make sure those are all functioning? Had the coils and ICM tested/swapped? There's also the VERY common fuel pump resistor problem for the gen II GTPs, which I'm almost willing to bet is what's wrong with your car. Here's a thread on how to test/diagnose this.

http://rmcgp.clubgp.com/fpresistor.html

In most cases, the symptoms were that the car will start as normal, idle for 2-3 seconds, and promptly shut off.
Sound familiar? :wink:

Your lack of power is most likely coming from the fact that with an L36 computer in a supercharged car, it has no idea what to do with the boost, nor can it control the boost bypass valve. The computer is also set up for different gear ratio, injectors, MAF and MAP sensor readings. Put that all together, and it's a miracle the thing runs with that PCM period.

As for your initial problem, I don't think your problem lies in the PCM itself. Did you try ohm-ing out the injectors to make sure those are all functioning? Had the coils and ICM tested/swapped? There's also the VERY common fuel pump resistor problem for the gen II GTPs, which I'm almost willing to bet is what's wrong with your car. Here's a thread on how to test/diagnose this.

http://rmcgp.clubgp.com/fpresistor.html

Sound familiar? :wink:

thanks i will check and try this out i did check my icm and i had them do it like 20 times seriously but figured since no codes were being thrown i was straying away from electrical, and the fact that it was running with all the same electrical components on the L36 pcm.

when i changed the s/c i also swapped out the throttle and all the sensors on it so i think that would eliminate those as a cause

again thanks it seems as tho the resistor was the problem i just got back from the dealer and picked up the new kit i will put in later today.

end thread>