DIC fuel info

Addicted2bass

Where does the DIC get its fuel info from? Mine always reads 0.0 MPG, ck fuel, etc. Im replacing the fuel pump tommorrow and i was wondering if there is a sensor in or by the tank? Ive already replaced the DIC unit, same problem. The average speed works find. All the fuel info did work when i bought the car but when i pulled it out of winter storage last year it had stopped working. My fuel gauge works fine.

for some reason, i can't seem to upload a diagram...

but it is connected to these things:

battery

ignition

pair of grounds

english/metric switch on the wiper arm?

the 4K pulse per mile (IIRC) signal from the ECM to speedometer

dimmer control

fuel level sender

light switch

ECM via the ALDL connector

the three things that would concern you are the 4K PPM signal, fuel level sender and the ALDL line. since it won't display anything other than avergae speed, i would venture that the signal from the ECM or fuel level sender or both is the likely culprit

Thanks Robert! Im assuming the fuel level sender is either in or above the tank? and there should be some wires there, im assuming i have a broken wire or corroded connector. The ECM is the module under the hood by the passenger fender correct?

ECM should be there, yes. if your actual fuel guage is working, then i would say the issue is either the splice it makes behind the left hand side of the instrument panel or anywhere between the splice itself and the DIC. the wire itself should be purple at the splice and when it comes up to the C200(pin 9F) connector(which should be beind the instrument panel near the right-hand shroud), it changes to pink and then runs to pin B6 on the DIC.

if that wire checks out, then your issue probably lies between the DIC and the ALDL plug, especially if you can't hook up a scanner.

Thanks im gonna have to look into that when i get a chance. Its pretty annoying to have this huge computer in my car thats only function is a compass and constantly flashing "ck fuel "change oil "rotate tires" etc. etc.

Do you have a diagram for the wiring? And where would the ALDL plug be?