powder coat?

J

i have heard that as well, but then again i know of many car amplifier manufacturers that powder coat their amps, so either its not as bad as we think or they have some special method that doesn't trap the heat.

i would like to know more as well, cause i am looking into that too.

Since I had my intake manifold off to fix the coolant leak, I figured, I might as well make it look better, so I used the high heat aluminum paint from autozone, in the matching dull aluminum color of the factory. The layer of paint is so thin, I doubt the air will warm up enough to make any difference to the engine. Heat transfer depends on these variables, difference in temp between the two areas, the flow rate, and the materials. Any coating you use, just for color, should be ok. If you use something else thick,like bondo(LOL) :P you could heat it up. Enjoy!

yes and powder coat is just what it says... powder, which fills the cracks and pores of the metal you are coating thereby not allowing it to "breathe", powder coating retains all the heat, doesn't let it escape.

i used to powder coat semi wheels at a michelen (sp?) plant

IIRC the powder has to be baked on at 550 degrees F they cooled down in about 10 minutes when i had to grab them to stack on the skids (pallets) to be banded and shipped

it was a cool job and easy to powder coat with the right tools

just thought i would add that

have any questions i will try to answer them the best i can

where i work right now Powder coats and paints the LAV's that are made by GDLS(General Dynamics Land Syastems)/ The old GM defence...

Powder coating is much better than regular paint and last alot longer bc it is bonded with the metal.

Yes the powder coating will retain heat better than just paint, but that diffrence shouldn't effect your engine at all. the only thing that it might change is if the place you get it done doesn't protect the mating surfaces of the parts it will create gaps between the suffaces and that could lead to leaks-even if ther is a gasket between them. For example i got my headders sand blasted and powder coated, and had a ceramic coating put one the inside of the headders, if i got them back with some of the powder coating on the mating surface of the flange i could have a leak, but fortunatly i havent, and i also inspected them before i left the shop.

Things like Headders and exhaust should and can be ceramic coated, that will keep the heat inside the headders and not in your engine bay. the ceramic coating on the inside also smooths out the flow of your exhaust.