Gentex mirrors

rockfangd

Ok I need to ask this because there are many projects that I am successfull in figuring out, but this I cannot.

It seems that once you remova a gentex snap on mirror off of the button it is no longer useable. If you attempt to install it back onto the button or any other button it is extremely loose. Now On my olds I came up with a great idea but wasnt very easy, I had to disassemble both the original set screw style mirror and the replacement snap on mirror and remove the bolt that holds the swivel assembly and swap them so the gentex mirror would now be a set screw style.

Now for example my Cadillac came with the gentex dimming mirror which is a snap on design, and I wanted to chhange to the optional dimming with compass, So what I had to do was disassemble the new mirror and the mirror on the windshield without removing the button. (so basically I put the new mirror body onto my original button) I have removed these mirrors by exact instructions, I have had people have the dealer pull the mirror and not say anything about this issue and it is irritating.

So my question would be is there something I dont know? I know keen will chirp in on this.

What happens if you have to replac the windshield??

I know I may be crazy but give me some ideas:D

I've never had, nor heard the mirrors fit loose when placing them on a car that didn't come with such a mirror. Then again, when I get my mirrors from the junkyard, I first try just firmly tugging them off the windshield, hoping the glue isn't that strong anymore. If it doesn't seem like it's going to give easily, I'll just stick a small flat head screwdriver under the little opening on the bottom of the bracket, and gently hammer it off the windshield. Quite often, the whole button will come off the windshield with a decent chunk of glass on it, as opposed to the mirror popping off the button. I'm not worried about being too careful with it because I'm pulling it off a junkyard car. I just want to get the mirror off the car. Once it's off, I then have much easier access to popping the button off, which also makes it less likely to bend anything in the bracket, causing it to fit loose.

I've only had to remove a non-screw on mirror to replace it with a fancier version twice. I had no problems either time installing the upgraded mirror (other than it was a bit of a pain to push on/into place) after carefully removing the stock one off the car. I would look at the bracket and make sure the tabs on the sides aren't bent, and that the tensioned metal thingy that's supposed to snap the mirror on to the button hasn't been bent back so far that the tab stops are ineffective. You shouldn't have to switch the bracket base to get them to fit tightly, although if you don't mind doing it, I'd MUCH rather have the screw on kind than these newer, pain in the ass snap on kinds which suck for removing, OR installing.

I've never had one go loose. However, I only pry very gently. Maybe you are prying too far up? I only pry it up far enough that the bottom will slide over the button. I pry up just a couple millimeters and gently wiggle the mirror upwards and eventually it comes off. I use vasoline to slide the mirror back on without much effort.

Only thing I can think of is maybe you're being too rough with it.

these are pretty hard. I hate them too. I would rather drill and tap a hole for a screw from a donor than deal with the bullshit of mounting them with the sprung tab.