sub-frame question

Myotis1134

Got my new sub-frame, but i've been a little busy working so it sat around for a few days. Finally got to work on it, removed all the extra shit the people at the wrecking yard didn't take off (got a free sway bar out of it though), and scrapped off as much grease and dirt as I could. Got 4 cans of heavy duty degreaser, and illegally cleaned it off at the local do-it-yourself car wash. Tomorrow I start grinding the rust off in earnest.

I'm a little concerned about the areas where the bushings go; my old sub frame rusted out at these points, and there is already a lot of corrosion on the new one. However, it appears that the part of the frame that the bushings sit in/on/around, and where the bolts go through, is pressed into the frame.

I'm putting pics up for feedback, but it 'appears' that I could have the rusted pieces removed, and new ones pressed in. This seems a tad extravagant, but I'm leaning towards hard core on this. I've already ordered my por-15 kit, and have even priced out a good old sandblasting and powercoating. The powercoating and sandblasting turned out to be too expensive for my budget (thus the por-15), but I did order 3 of all the bushing types I need for mounting it, and a DIY polyurethane kit so I can make some poly bushings eventually.

Anyways, this post is about the contact points for the frame, and whether or not I can get them replaced. The relevant pics are the last three, as that is what all the holes look like. The piece is pressed into the frame from the bottom, which makes sense. On monday I'll contact a machine shop and get some info on a job like this, but since the piece extends through and above the frame a bit, I'm not sure how much is supposed to be sticking out. Anyone think It'll be bad if I estimate?

post-3664-14368904397_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689043976_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689043979_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689043983_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689043987_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689043992_thumb.jpg

post-3664-143689043995_thumb.jpg

Im not sure here. But i will take a shot in the dark, See if you can have machine shop press in new ones? Or rust proof the shit out of it. (wd-40, Oil, etc)

those are just leftover from the old bushings IIRC just use a hammer and/or a prybar of some sort to knock them out.

I see a grinder with a cup style wire wheel in the background is this what you used to clean up the frame?? I would think it would be a good idea to acid clean the metal before you use the por-15 or does that stuff permanently convert the rust?

Yep, as long as the flaking metal is off, you can put por 15 right on top of surface rust.

However, I think where he is at right now may be the best. Just make sure the metal surface isn't too smooth, as it does need something to adhere to.

oh to joy! they sold you an 88-90 frame. but you only have a 91 euro with a 3.1, correct? it will work. If you had a 3.4 they would have fucked you hard.

I treated a frame I restored for a 95 CS with "Magnet Paints Chassis Saver" which is similar to POR 15.