Check engine light on

Bri-Guy-GA

It is a '95 GP SE with the 3.1. Seems to be more engine temp related. Won't be on when first started, but comes on after driving a few miles. Will occasionally go off, but comes back on. May just have it plugged in at garage near my office for $80.

I'm just still afraid this is another dreaded EGR thread :lol:. If it is for the EGR it will come on above 45 mph usually and when the engine is not under a load... so it would come on on the highway all the time. Could also be the coolant temperature sensor... do you notice your fans not turning on? Or the air density sensor. Make sure that is plugged in. That can cause an SES light when the car has been running for a few minutes.

80 bucks! Screw that! Places do it for free!

Laptop with usb, I got. What about software? Sounds interesting.

I did notice that the low coolant light is also on periodically.

Laptop with usb, I got. What about software? Sounds interesting.

I did notice that the low coolant light is also on periodically.

software is tunerpro RT(free, if you put up with the 10 second nag screen), in either the V5 or V4 flavor, but i recommend V5 due to enhanced logging capabilities. then you'll need to download the ADX or ADS to read the datastream(i'll email it if necessary). that's pretty much it for software. you'll need drivers for the cable itself, but those are easy to deal with.

and the low coolant light actually doesn't have any kind of connection to the PCM, it's all done through the dash.

• 3 weeks later...

Well turns out its the EGD valve. Have it diagnosed for $85 along with finding out source of power steering leak. Now to get another one. they worth getting from junk cars or just get one from parts store?

Oops, typo its the EGR valve. Came up with codes 76 & 77 solenoids 2 and 3 problems. Will look at your cleaning post and see if it works.

Sweet video, thanks. Is our EGR is the same location? Will give it a cleaning and see how it goes. Car does have 235k miles though so might be worth it to replace.

same location, just different style of EGR(you'll have the 3 tower digital setup while they were showing the OBD2 EVRV solenoid... that MAY or may not have have been a 96-99 thing, i believe the EGR may have changed on the 00+ manifolds).

Pulled it off, took all of 2 minutes. Took it apart and cleaned it out. so far the light has been off for a couple of days. Should at least hold long enough for me to pass inspection. Thanks guys.