Grand Prix GTP engine size

bronze93

First time posting although I have been lurking around here. I'm looking for a 94-96 Grand Prix 2-door and came across a 96 with a 3.1 and GTP package. My question is was that ever done? I thought the GTP only came with the 3.4. I have e-mailed the seller and waiting for a response and hopefully a vin number so I can look it up. Thanks in advance.

To answer the OP's question. Yes in 94-96 SE's came with the 3.1 and the optional GTP apperence package. ;) I saw one on eBay before and i believe it was white. But anyway you can order a car to whatever you want.

To answer the OP's question. Yes in 94-96 SE's came with the 3.1 and the optional GTP apperence package. ;) I saw one on eBay before and i believe it was white. But anyway you can order a car to whatever you want.

Wait, so you're saying that it was possible to to get a GTP with the 3.1? That's news to me...

No, the B4U body kit was available on the SE coupes.

That being said, I have heard of an SE with an LQ1 and B4U...

Jamie

I have seen SEs with B4U and DOHC... actually, it was notable as it was a 93 and did NOT have the second gear start switch... which I believe the GTP would have.

and yes, the GPs were available with the same ground effects package as the GTP in 94-96... but ONLY the GTP had hood louvers, assuming an original hood.

That being said, I have heard of an SE with an LQ1 and B4U...

I have seen SEs with B4U and DOHC... actually, it was notable as it was a 93 and did NOT have the second gear start switch... which I believe the GTP would have.

I've seen 'em too, in fact I see one every day since I own one (though not a 94-96)! :laugh: Mine's got the 2nd gear start switch too, and the 2.25 turn rack that supposedly wasn't available on it either, but I digress.

I didn't think an actual GTP ever came with a 3.1, so thanks for verifying. To the OP, sorry for the hijack :)

What exactly are we talking, GTP package...like the badging and hood vents? I thought the SE's could get everything that a GTP could get like the leather, HUD, DIC, 2nd gear start, etc etc.

First time posting although I have been lurking around here. I'm looking for a 94-96 Grand Prix 2-door and came across a 96 with a 3.1 and GTP package. My question is was that ever done? I thought the GTP only came with the 3.4. I have e-mailed the seller and waiting for a response and hopefully a vin number so I can look it up. Thanks in advance.

This is a very common misconception, one that I was guilty of making.

I had always assumed (wrongly) that the aero package coupes were all GTP's, they aren't!!

Back in the early 90's GM was a clusterf**k of options and trim levels. The Grand Prix's had an LE, STE, SE, GTP, and GT and almost all options were available to all trim levels including getting that 3.4 DOHC in a non-B4U car prior to 1994 (I may be wrong on the date). The other oddity is that (with the exception of the Turbos) all x-lace rim GM cars had to have matching interior colours prior to 1995. Gold x-laces = tan interior, sliver = grey/charcol.

So, anyhow.

Fast forward to 1994, GM revises the dashes, you get two airbags and suddenly there's 3 Grand Prix trim levels:

SE = 3100 coupe/sedan

GT = 3.4 sedan

GTP = 3.4 coupe

Special Edition just added the chrome or polished 5-stars.

Prior to 1994 (the year where they slightly changed the cladding) you could get an Aero coupe (ground effects) with the 3.1 Litre six, it was a legit special edition that often had gold pin stripping, they are fairly rare - in terms of production numbers they're not overly desirable as a collectible or anything.

1995 was the last year for the BYP (non-ground effect coupes) only about 15% of the coupes were made that way in that year. In 1996 GTP or SE you HAD to have the ground effects package.

As mentioned before, there was never a way to get the hood vents on anything other than a GTP's or Turbos to the best of my knowledge.

This is a very common misconception, one that I was guilty of making.

I had always assumed (wrongly) that the aero package coupes were all GTP's, they aren't!!

Back in the early 90's GM was a clusterf**k of options and trim levels. The Grand Prix's had an LE, STE, SE, GTP, and GT and almost all options were available to all trim levels including getting that 3.4 DOHC in a non-B4U car prior to 1994 (I may be wrong on the date). The other oddity is that (with the exception of the Turbos) all x-lace rim GM cars had to have matching interior colours prior to 1995. Gold x-laces = tan interior, sliver = grey/charcol.

So, anyhow.

Fast forward to 1994, GM revises the dashes, you get two airbags and suddenly there's 3 Grand Prix trim levels:

SE = 3100 coupe/sedan

GT = 3.4 sedan

GTP = 3.4 coupe

Special Edition just added the chrome or polished 5-stars.

Prior to 1994 (the year where they slightly changed the cladding) you could get an Aero coupe (ground effects) with the 3.1 Litre six, it was a legit special edition that often had gold pin stripping, they are fairly rare - in terms of production numbers they're not overly desirable as a collectible or anything.

1995 was the last year for the BYP (non-ground effect coupes) only about 15% of the coupes were made that way in that year. In 1996 GTP or SE you HAD to have the ground effects package.

As mentioned before, there was never a way to get the hood vents on anything other than a GTP's or Turbos to the best of my knowledge.

GTP's only came with the 3.4; B4U, the FE3 suspension package, and HUD any SE's that looked like a GTP with a 3.4 and B4U were actually coded as a GT and did not have all 4 options. these SE's are just wannabe GTP's

GTP's only came with the 3.4; B4U, the FE3 suspension package, and HUD any SE's that looked like a GTP with a 3.4 and B4U were actually coded as a GT and did not have all 4 options. these SE's are just wannabe GTP's

My 95 GTP did not come with HUD, but its still a GTP not an SE.

The only thing a GTP had to have was the motor, and the lovers.

the only thing an SE could not get was the 3.4 DOHC (in 94-96) Unless it was ordered! I have seen a few byp Grand prix's with a 3.4.

The only thing a GTP had to have was the motor, and the lovers.

the only thing an SE could not get was the 3.4 DOHC (in 94-96) Unless it was ordered! I have seen a few byp Grand prix's with a 3.4.

THIS.

My GP is of course an SE with the 3100. But I have B4U, leather, HUD, DIC, sunroof, power seat, ABS, 5 stars, CD player, RSWC, RKE, dual exhaust, etc etc. You name it, my car has it. Pretty much every option except for the LQ1 (and the hood louvers which were LQ1 only in 94-96).

According to GM (circa 1992) keeping in mind that I know all of this stuffs like the back of my hand:

"Order a GT Coupe with the available Aero Performance Package that includes . . . x-laces big ass tires . . . and the 210 HP* 3.4 litre Twin Dual Cam V6 . . . . and it becomes a GTP Coupe."

* Engine is only 210 HP when the timing chain is intact and it's not busy eating alternators.

In 1992 HUD is optional or not available on all cars including STE, Aero package is available on all coupes. SE's and GT's, technically GTP was a designation package is memory serves correctly until 1994 not really a "trim level" much like the 1997 and 1998 Grand Prix's only SE and GT, there wasn't technically a GTP it was an option package.

ok. 1997-2003 model year

SE, could have a 3800 or 3100, Ugly body kit. but could come with leather, sunroof IF ordered. 4 doors only!

GT, Came with a 3800, GTP body kit, could have every option but supercharged motor. 2 or 4 door

GTP, Came with L67, GTP body kit, Could still come stripped with no premium sound, no sunroof, No hud, no leather. But most did come fully optioned. 2 or 4 door

1998 pace cars, Came in MGB, T-stars with center caps that say Daytona 500, 200 of them got sunroofs, Most were fully loaded up, All had leather. Could be a GTP or GTX

GTX package could be had on any trim, including the se, 3100's 2 or 4 door

2000 pace car replicas, all were silver, 2 doors. the end! gtp's only

40th anv Could come in GTP's OR gt's 2 or 4 door

2003 LE Grand prixs, Could also come in gt's or GTP! 4 door only

Edited by Addicted to eaton