Ari's Oldsmobile.

Z34guy

Ari's Olds Intrigue is possibly dead. She had the Intrigue looked over by a mechanic, who gave it the ok. She had one of those random part failures no one can predict.

We were driving down the road (I was driving. thank god or she'd have panicked and crashed), the engine was sounding increasingly sick so we were headed back to my Aunt's house to pick up my Monte Carlo. about 4 m,iles from my aunt's house, we heard a loud KER-CLUNK, followed by the oil light coming on, a metallic sound that went from the engine under the car, smoke started coming through the hood, and a loss of power steering. I pulled off to the side of the road calmly, put the hazards on and called my family for help, while Ari called her mom and then triple A. We then got out to inspect the damage. I saw a trail of oil behind the Olds and followed it to find out what happened. after about 30 feet, I found the problem. Connecting rod snapped and shot through the oil pan.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Z34guy

• BXX

• tornado_735

• gorybella4

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

God DAMN that is super fun news! NOT Sorry........ That blows. 3800?

I'm trying to get my sister to relinquish her L67 from the wrecked GTP to save the Olds. the Pontiac has been sitting for a year and a half busted (we start it up every now and then though. runs fine) so it's obviously not getting fixed anytime soon.

Wonder why that would've happened

I do too. I mean, I was BARELY doing the speed limit (about 25 MPH). the engine had just been sounding increasingly sick so.... I heard a knocking around but it sounded like a stuck lifter or something along those lines. I didn't think it was THAT serious.

DAMN THAT IS SHITTY LUCK. sorry to hear. But you can make it stronger, faster, and better. The prior owner must have run it low on oil often... :(

She bought it from the original owners who were meticulous about everything on the car. They had maintenance done even when it wasn't necessary. Although, the good news is it gives us an excuse for an L67 swap without having the explain to Ari's mom why the car now has a supercharger and whines or why the car now requires premium fuel.

ouch, I had a intrigue 2001 and The engine just started knocking and after about a month it just blew, No warnings / low oil, etc... It was the 3.5. L67 FTW

I'll post the picture of the connecting rod when I get a chance. Ari's leaning towards keeping it and having the bottom of the engine rebuilt (My sister won't relinquish her L67. fucking bitch... It's not like we're gonna save the car or that it's been on the road in the past year and a half.). She's hoping it won't cost more than $1000 to fix, but I think the cheapest it'll be to fix is $1200. Which is sad because she just spent $1200 on it to get the brake lines and fuel lines replaced. Her mechanic was BAFFLED as to how that happened. He said a few days before, it was running fine, and now it looks like she took it to a drag strip and raced it at 144 MPH then blew the motor. He's also baffled because Intrigues are some of the most reliable cars he's ever seen. He said he goes to junkuards frequently and most often when he sees an Intrigue, the body'll be rotting away and the engine'll be in perfect shape. Ari's car is the exact opposite.

shit happens. lord knows the life the car lived prior to this. it may have been driven on a bad intake seal with coolant in the crank case for lord knows how long, thats a quick way to wipe out a bottom end.

I would not even mess with rebuilding a SII 3800. low mile examples are available for less then the cost of machining the block.

Where do you live? I could do a motor swap for free, You guys find a motor. Ill bring my tools, As long as you help a little. If your to far, i'm going to have to say nvm.

Where do you live? I could do a motor swap for free, You guys find a motor. Ill bring my tools, As long as you help a little. If your to far, i'm going to have to say nvm.

It says Connecticut under his avatar... That's a little bit of a drive from us...

IIRC LKQ has a yard near or in Conn.. I see nice low mileage 3800s on ebay for around $300 and IIRC LKQ puts a 6 month or 1 year warrenty on every engine they sell without charging you extra for a warrenty like a lot of yards will.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04-Pontiac-Bonneville-3-8-Liter-L36-Engine-OEM-LKQ-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ead0590d2QQitemZ200471318738QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Mass anywhere near you?

I dunno, maybe its just me... but instead of sinking in another engine or whatever, why not just scrap the piece of shit and get a different car??

pay for a new car for Ari and it'll be done :D

pay for a new car for Ari and it'll be done :D

Im pretty sure thats her responsibility.. Sometimes its time to let something go and not mess with puttin an engine in a car with high miles unless you have money to burn (figure all in all, the engine and shit to get it in will cost around $500+)

Not much more money, and you have yourself a nice down payment on something newer with lower miles

Yeah, the only reason I dont have a newer low mileage car is because there is already one between my GF and I (the 06 Impala) and im a mechanic so working on my car I enjoy and im a hardcore enthusiast who likes to modify.

For a younger kid and his GF, having an older car that already barfed a rod is prolly gonna eat a trans real soon too along with whatever else.. Adds up quick and affording an older car gets more pricey than a $300/month car payment or less.

I highly doubt that a commute to Connecticut would be feasible, but thanks for the offer, you have a good heart. :)