cruise control problem

96oldsmobubble

I have a problem with my cruise control. I thought I fixed it by changing the multifunction lever, but no luck.

The cruise works fine, sets, accelerates and decelerates, resets etc. But while cruising on the highway, I flip my left turn signal on to pass, the cruise shuts off. It does not do this with the right turn signal. If I hold the left turn signal down slightly before it locks in position, just enough for the signal to blink, it will not shut off and I can pass.

Like I said I replaced the multifunction lever with a new GM part, did not fix the problem. Does this sound like a turn signal switch issue? Anyone else have this issue? Its on a 96 Cutlass Supreme

Thank you,Tim

The wires for the cruise are separate from the other functions of the multifunction switch. I'd start by checking the wires at the base of the column for the cruise while flipping the signal on and off. It sound like you've got a short in the column somewhere, in which case it's just easier to swap out a different one. They're cheap enough.

what are you referring to swap out?

One thing I just checked, when my turn signals are on and my foot is on the brake, the brake lights go out:think: