Some Gen 1.5 Monte Carlo questions...

88red4cyl

As some of you may have seen I am planning on picking up a 99 Z34 if the seller ever gets back to me so I can go up there and get it... I absolutely love everything about my 06, and I would love to add another MC to the stable...I pretty much know how the car is going to drive and handle, thanks to my 4 years with the LTZ... But there are some questions I would like to know regarding some possible upgrades I could do, and some Monte specific things...

First off, I have a question about the seats.. In my 06, to get in the back there is a small lever on the top of the seatback that you flick up, and the seat leans forward and you push it to the end of its track to enter.. This makes back seat entry incredibly easy. Do the seats in the gen 1.5s work like this?

In the sellers ad, he lists it has premium cd... Was premium sound an option on the gen 1.5s? I can't ever recall seeing a car that had premium sound on it... If not, would the premium sound setups from any of the other Ws swap directly over?

Lastly, I have fallen in love with the auto-dimming mirrors... How difficult would it be to swap one of those bad boys in here (even better if I could get one with compass)?

The seats in the 99 MC should move forward by just pushing them, I dont think there is a lever

Does the whole seat slide forward though, or just the seat back leans forward?

i THINK there is a little "lever" thing on the back of the seat that is supposed to do just that... but i don't think they have ever worked on the 95. or at least i was doing ti wrong.

premium CD MAY mean it has SWRC....

I think SWRC was standard on the Z34, not sure though.. It does have SWRC, BTW, so you could be right about that.. I'm hoping there is a premium sound setup from one of the other Ws I can swap in though...

So, the seats do not slide forward when the back is leaned forward then I'm assuming...

Just the back of the seat goes forward, not the entire seat.

Premium sound must mean SWRC, they never put a Monsoon stereo in the Montes. The SWRC was optional on Z34's but very few are not equipped with them.

"This radio is a direct replacement (plug and play) for ALL these vehicles, regardless of whether you have a CD radio today. Regardless of whether you have the Monsoon system."

"1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo "

looks like it would work.

"This radio is a direct replacement (plug and play) for ALL these vehicles, regardless of whether you have a CD radio today. Regardless of whether you have the Monsoon system."

The headunit is pretty much useless without the rest of the system though, right? Would the speakers mount up in a Monte?

not sure what a monsoon camaro uses... the MC should have 6X9 in the rear and 5 1/4 in the doors... at least that's how it is in the 95 LS.

EDIT: a 01 camaro w/monsoon should have 6 3/4 in the doors, and a 4" and 6 3/4 in the rear according to crutchfield.

Edited by RobertISaar

not sure what a monsoon camaro uses... the MC should have 6X9 in the rear and 5 1/4 in the doors... at least that's how it is in the 95 LS.

And I assume the Monsoon system probably has an amp as well...

monsoon radios are just regular radios + monsoon tag. the moonsoon system is EXTERNAL of the radio, involving an external amp with external speakers.....

Hm.. I wonder if the seats from the newer Monte Carlos would fit... That sliding forward feature is nice...

knowing GM, the mounting rails are the same/similar...

Alright, the seller got back to me.. One thing he mentioned was the sunroof needs help opening and closing... How hard is it to replace the motor on these?

its not the problem though my 99gtp only did it when wet. Sprayed some grease on it and wala!

He said the opening mechanism is stripped?

If it still functions properly (meaning opens and closes with no problem) it could just be the motor... That was what happened on my 99 Z. But on my dad's 98 Z, what a pain... I am STILL trying to get it right... the track is shot and it gets stuck open. Try a motor first and see what happens.

If it still functions properly (meaning opens and closes with no problem) it could just be the motor... That was what happened on my 99 Z. But on my dad's 98 Z, what a pain... I am STILL trying to get it right... the track is shot and it gets stuck open. Try a motor first and see what happens.

He said it opens and closes, but you have to help it...