Coil-overs and Rear Strut Towers

SmoothSteve3

Hey everybody-

For those of you that have rear coilovers on your w-bodys, have you had any problem with the rear strut towers warping or bending or breaking? I'm about to order some from FFP, and just wanted to know if doing this would be a big mistake. My car is a 1990 Chevy Lumina (4 dr.) 3.1 MPFI just in case you wanted to know. Thanks!

Steve

Guest TurboSedan

i have never ever had a problem with mine in regards to the strut towers or frame. no damage whatsoever to any part of the car in the 2+ years/50,xxx+ miles they have been on the car. i dont' even have a rear sway bar or STB's on the car right now (i have them just not installed). i don't exactly drive lightly either (i deliver pizza).

joshua

Hey everybody-

For those of you that have rear coilovers on your w-bodys, have you had any problem with the rear strut towers warping or bending or breaking?

I do realize that the car was probably not designed to handle the load at the strut towers, but I was going to ask the same thing. If not yours, has anybody ever heard of or seen one that has broke?

Yeah, but have anyone with coilovers had camber/caster checked, let some time go by, and had them rechecked to make sure the strut towers stayed straight and true?

Yep. I have had mine on for over 2 years and the alignment has not changed. I have not had any problems other than the first mount design being somewhat noisy. That has since been fixed. The body has not moved a hair... all the doors close smoothly like when it was new as does the trunk.

i have never ever had a problem with mine in regards to the strut towers or frame. no damage whatsoever to any part of the car in the 2+ years/50,xxx+ miles they have been on the car. i dont' even have a rear sway bar or STB's on the car right now (i have them just not installed). i don't exactly drive lightly either (i deliver pizza).

joshua

LOL! Thats excellent Malib! Can't get a much better test condition than the Pizza delivery route. Odd thing is, I beat up several cars in Pizza. It seemed they didn't mind it ever! I guess when it means your paycheck you take care of your car more.