Bypassing Passkey system in a 2000 Intrigue

Regal_GS_1989

First off...is this even possible?

Long story short...This is the second time this has happened in about 6 months, where you go to start the car, the security light flashes and it does not start. I played around with the key in the ignition a few times, and managed to get it to start, and after that it was fine. I would like to know if it is possible to by pass this system, sorta like bypassing the old VATS system.

Thanks.

It is possible, pretty easy to do. The Intrigues have the Passkey system, similar to the VATS. When the key is put in the ignition the tumbler reads that its cut correctly and send a resistance to the BCM telling the car its ok to start. In order to override this you just need to put a resistor inline.

To do this you will need; a multimeter, wire cutters/strippers, solder and a soldering iron, a drill and a 7mm socket to remove the dash panels. You will need a resistor to obvioulsy, pick up a pack of assorted ones at radio shack, the one you will need should be in there.

Step 1: Get to the igition switch. In that car you may be able to access it by removing the radio.

Step 2: You will see a small plug coming off the transponder. Wire colors should be black, yellow and a red/white. The black and yellow are the ones you will need. Cut the yellow wire in half and strip back the black.

Step 3: Now you will need to take a mesaurement with your multimeter. Put one lead on the yellow wire going to the key cylinder, the other on the black. Turn ignition on and bump the starter, you dont need to actually start the car. A resistance should come up on the multimeter. This is the resistance the BCM needs to see to allow the car to start.

Step 4: Now you need to solder a resistor in that mathces the reading you took. Get one that is as close as possible to the cars resistance. Solder one end to the black wire you stripped back, solder the other to the cut yellow wire going to the BCM. The other end going to the cylinder you can just tape off.

Try to start the car. If it doesnt start the first time it may have gone into "long tamper mode". Let it sit with the key on untill the security light starts flashing, about 15 minutes usually.

Ive done this quite a few times at my work to fix problems just like you're describing. Hopefully i explained it ok, let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by Addicted2bass

August you are wrong on this the BCM has nothing to do with the PASSKEY in an Intrigue thats actually stored in the ECM. THis is an Intrigue not an Alero. I am unsure if your method works or not as I have never had an issue with any of the Intrigues I have had regarding the PK system other than just replacing the ignition switch which fixed the problem on 3 different cars.

The passlock system in the Intrigue is the same as an Alero, or any other GM of that era, except Cadillacs. The method i listed will work on any Passlock I or II system. PK3, PK3+ and the double encrypted "circle +" keys are differant and that method will not work. But the only w-body to get those systems would be third gen GPs and new Impalas. Im not sure ive ever bypassed the system on a Intrigue, it seems they generally go bad on N-body cars, but as i said the Alero and Intrigue have the same Passlock 2 security system. Swapping out the igniton switch would work also, im just giving him another alternative.

I thought the later GP's got PK3 at the same time the U-vans did.. And I'm pretty positive the Intrigues are PKIII only, but I might be wrong.

00-03 GPs had PK3 keys. '04+ up got PK3+. For some unknown reson 97-99 gps had no security keys, but they did have factory alarms.