Last time posting

Myotis1134

Hey everyone,

My poor Euro died today. The front sub-frame that the engine sits on broke loose from the rest of the car on the passenger side. Front and back. At the time I thought a big rock had just bounced up and hit the floor. Noticed the frame hanging down below the bumper when I was walking away. Needless to say I'm pretty depressed right now, I had just learned that j-body.com could make me a upper-intake manifold that would bolt up to a Eaton supercharger too.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who helped me keep the old girl alive all these years.

Clay

We aren't done with you yet! Get a sub-frame from out of a junkyard and simply swap it in. Sure, it may be quite a project but we are here to let you know that your car is still savable.

Sounds like rust accumulated around the mounts for the subframe. I'd say you're toast unless you want to start welding shit together, and even that's not guaranteed.

If the subframe alone is cracked, you can replace it fairly easily and in your own garage. Let us know how this pans out.

If I can find another sub-frame then I think I can save her, since the bolts are still hanging tough. If anyone knows if there is a major difference in the euro and 4-door sedan front sub-frame, I saw a few of those for sale on craigslist. If the 2-door luminas are different frame-wise, then it's a lost cause.

Either way, we had a good last drive today.

Yeah dude, you don't have to call it quits.

You can easily find a good used subframe at the boneyard.

If I can find another sub-frame then I think I can save her, since the bolts are still hanging tough. If anyone knows if there is a major difference in the euro and 4-door sedan front sub-frame, I saw a few of those for sale on craigslist. If the 2-door luminas are different frame-wise, then it's a lost cause.

Either way, we had a good last drive today.

If its the subframe that rusted out and let go and NOT the mounting points at the unibody, then you are perfectly fine going with changing the subframe. You jack up the car, jack up the engine, put a large 4x4 over the engine bay, support the engine with chain or truck straps, then support the subframe with 4 jackstands, disconnect the engine and transmission mounts and the steering rack, disconnect all hoses or lines that are connected to the subframe, and drop it right out. Might need someone to help you lift the new one back into place, but its not something you can't do.

If that's all that's wrong an the rest of the car is in decent shape, I'd just replace the subframe.

I'm calling salvage yards today, but getting the runaround. Does the new subframe have to come from another lumina? Looking at wiki I see that there was also the regal, cutlass, and grand prix that all had the 107.5 in wheelbase. Can I get the part from one of those vehicles? because that would make it a lot easier.

Edited by Myotis1134

Damn, you're in Alaska? That's cool as hell. I have a friend who just joined the state troopers up there.

I found a cradle for $100 in November '08 from a wrecker about an hour's drive north of Toronto. They delivered it to the city for free (I guess as part of a part drop-off run) and I had it installed for $300. My front end let go in snow and I cracked a curb way back in 1997. After the second crappy control arm to cradle weld failed (each lasted about five years) I gave in and replaced it.

I'm pretty sure I am NOT going to get this thing delivered. Wasilla is kinda ghetto, even for Alaska. Going to pick it up tomorrow with a friend with a truck. This could be a blessing in disguise; since I'm pulling the engine and tranny anyways, now I can replace the gaskets so the hoa people won't hate me anymore for leaking all over the parking lot.

And to reply to tornado, it is cool to live in alaska right now, and for about 3 more months. then it's going to suck for the rest of the time. think about this: 4 to 1 guys to girls. it's a fucking sausage fest up here.