Mysterious Clunking

Drummer

My grand Prix has been doing this for a while now. If I'm turning it will clunk a little but will get louder when when I'm turning and stepping on the gas. I just finished replacing both inner and outer tie rods cause they were bad and I thought they were possibly causing the clunking but of course they didn't. I'm thinking my sub frame bushings are starting to go, cause that's the only thing I can think of besides a motor mount. What are your opinions, thoughts?

exact same problem happened with my friends cutlass... we replaced the strut, ball joint, subframe bushing, and i dont remember what else but it stayed the same... i noticed that her motor mount was literally destroyed but i didnt think that was it and she was tight on $$ so we didnt replace it

Yeah, I thought CV joint too, but they make more of a clicking noise. I drove on a bad one for 30,000 miles in my old AWD Aerostar :lol:

I suspect a ball joint/control arm. Maybe even tie rods.

well i'll try ball joints first as cv axle clicking is a completely different sounding noise from what I'm experiencing as it is a lot louder and deeper, and only clunks once, and even does it sometimes in a straight line. The weird thing is is that my Z34 did the very exact same thing and both the motor and transmission are from it so I don't know what to think.

My 93 GTP did this also from when I bought it with 127,000 miles until I sold it at 137,000. Really the only time it would happen was backing out of my driveway, turning the wheel to the left. Never did try and figure out what was actually causing it.

My TGP did the same thing for a while. We checked everything typical (ball joints, CV axles, tie rods, etc), but couldn't find a damn thing wrong with it. Then I took it over to a buddy's to take one last look at it. He was jacking up the car from the subframe when I noticed the motor start going up with the jack..........while the car sat on the ground! :eek: Needless to say, first thing I did was look at the subframe bolts, and they were wiggling around like a loose tooth. The bushings were completely shot. I changed anything and everything associated with holding the subframe in.

Oh yes. I was on pins and needles till I could get it done, because it looked BAD. Kept waiting for the cradle to drop. But yes, once I got that done, not another peep.

I was going to suggest the same thing, rotten rear cradle mount(s). Pretty easy to check, just duck under and inspect the condition of the rubber mount and look for any space betwen the cradle surface and the body.

yeah now I'm thinking subframe bushings as i couldn't get the wheels to move in any direction and it seems to make the clunking at different spots in the front soo where can I get good subframe bushings?

• 2 weeks later...

Check for a bad lower motor mount, and bad bushings in the suspension. My cutlass' suspension makes random noises every now and then, but it hasn't bothered me enough to find exactly what bushings need to be replaced.

well the lower motor mount was replaced a year or 2 ago but i guess it's possible it's just really irritating to have a car that makes this much noise when turning and accelerating.