Cat and Resonator

mediabandit

Hey guys,

I want to go have all the piping replaced on my Z34 because it is the original and is starting to crack and leak. I will be doing from the down pipe back and would like to know what the best Cat would be and also the best Resonator. And am i correct by saying that the original pipe for the Z34 is 2.5"? I will be keeping my current mufflers and tips. Thanks in advance for the info.

I know the muffler is a 2 inch inlet... I would assume the rest is too... This is the AP direct fit muffler diagram

700285.jpg

And if it helps, this is Walker's full exhaust diagram...

10576.gif

Vibrant makes a real nice 18" resonator that you could install in the 93+ location, really cuts out the rasp.

I'd go with an OEM replacement walker cat.

Vibrant makes a real nice 18" resonator that you could install in the 93+ location, really cuts out the rasp.

I'd go with an OEM replacement walker cat.

Ok, i will order the walker Cat and the Vibrant Resonator. Where is the '93+ mount location? Mine is right behind the cat. Do you happen to have the part number or a link to either?

Ok, i will order the walker Cat and the Vibrant Resonator. Where is the '93+ mount location? Mine is right behind the cat. Do you happen to have the part number or a link to either?

I looked for a diagram for 93+ 3.4... no such luck...

walker 54267, but double check that

That is correct. It is in the diagram I posted above, which is straight from Walker's website.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Chevrolet/Lumina/Walker/Catalytic_Converter/1991/Z34/6_Cyl_3-dot-4L/WK54267.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

----------------------------or--------------------------

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Chevrolet/Lumina/Walker/Catalytic_Converter/1991/Z34/6_Cyl_3-dot-4L/WK15037.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

And i am about to order.... http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1021_1033_1054&products_id=289

So that Resonator will fit in that location on my '91 as well?

And i won't have to replace the counter weight that is welded to the rear of the exhaust will I? It will be all new pipe.

yeah the pic I attached is the underside of my 91 International.

The counterweight should be bolted onto the exhaust clamp, and should be reusable.

Ok cool, thanks again. I will make sure they re-use the weight then, it is in great shape, just a shame that all the piping has began to rot out, i guess that happens after 19 years,lol.

Do you find with having the resonator that far back helps with the rasp more then if it is welded in right behind the cat? the original factory one i have is only 12" i think and that is why it will fit in that location.

I will just order the full fit cat then, make it easier then having another piece of pipe bent and welded in.

yeah they moved the resonator back beside the tank allowing a longer one (18") to be installed, cutting down on the rasp compared to the 91-92

• 1 month later...

what is this counter weight you referred to? i can't see the pics on my phone. I'll be doing 2.5 from dp to y, then straight pipes from there with a vibrant res in my stock location soon.

The counter weight sits at the back of the exhaust where the y splits off. I am not sure what it is actually for, some sort of balance i figure, but it is really only a round piece of cold rolled welded to a flat piece of plate attached to the exhaust, i have an exhaust off a Z34 sitting in my garage if you need me to take a pic of it and send it to your phone.