I'm on a bad luck streak...

GnatGoSplat

Wow, just when I thought things would go well, all of a sudden I read that there was a second accident!

My thoughts from reading the thread:

-As said, just pop out the dent and do any minor touchups for the quarter panel. Nothing too serious there.

-As for the back, I'd personally keep the clean title and just gather some new parts to fix it myself over time.

It's the sad truth that these cars are very easily written off, but to me it's a waste to write off a car for a small bump or scrape. Fortunately, your damage is relatively minor and isn't critically affecting the use of the car, so at least that's one positive from all of this.

doesnt take anything to buy them back after the insurance totals them, generally you dont even get a salvage title (didnt get one on my Beretta). they just take the buy-back value out of your payment for the totaling and you go on your way.

A few years ago my friends 85 Towncar got totaled. He was rear ended while waiting to make a left hand turn onto a side street. The insurance company gave him close to $1500 for the car and he was able to buy it back for less then $100. Still 100% driveable. Hopefully you will be able to get a similar deal!

Dude this sucks, plus your car looked in great shape, and as some of us like your mags too! Hope you get things settled out...

Out of curiosity did the lower part of the car come with the silver paint? Looks nice...

Man, what a sucky run of bad luck.....

........... can I have your wheels? :leaving:

:lol: As long as the buy back price is reasonable, I will most likely buy it back. I did get a voicemail today from the Total Loss department of the other guy's insurance, but I wasn't around to answer the phone because I've been vacuuming water out my flooded basement. Sounds like a call from the Total Loss department means they consider my Cutlass a total loss. Big surprise!

I managed to get ahold of the Total Loss lady at the other guy's insurance. Value of the car is $1025 which is probably reasonable considering the existing body damage. They offered me $1041 (includes taxes that they will pay) if I wish to let them salvage the car, or they offered me $155 buyback and they will give me $870 and I keep the car. She said in the state of Missouri, NOTHING has to be done if the car is over 7-years of age if I keep it. The car will NOT get a salvage title and I will NOT need to get any kind of inspections. She said they'll cut me an $870 check and I'm good to go. I chose to keep the car. My wife thinks the $155 buyback price is "comical". :lol:

Anyway, I could straighten the frame for $300 and pick up JY inner bumper bar and get it fixed for a lot less than $870, but I'll probably put that money into fixing the most obvious problems first and move onto the rear bumper later.

$115 buyback? :lol:

Why wouldn't you buy it back for that? Glad to hear you're keeping it, now watch out for all of the crazies on the road so that we don't see a continuation in this thread anytime soon.

I cant stand insurance fiasco, About 10 years ago someone hit me head on and somehow the law said I was 100% at fault, suspended my license without me knowing, My car was totalled, I was stuck with the hospital bills. I got screwed all the way around just because some other driver decided to cross the line of scrimmage.

Anyway It is a 50/50 that it will be totalled but usually you can work something out. Good luck

Insurance companies are weird. Last month a guy door dinged my wifes 04 pacifica. I took it in to have estimates done and three shops said it would cost 500 bucks just to fix a door ding due to it having chryslers 3 coat paint. The guy had progressive insurance and when his adjuster showed up he gave my wife a check for 900 dollars FOR A LITTLE DOOR DING. So my wife still has a little door ding and we had 900 bucks.

Damn, rockfangd, that's terrible!

It's a done deal. $870 check is coming my way, sans $155 buyback so I'll just keep the car and continue driving it as normal. Part of me wants to restore it to as close to mint condition as possible, another part of me wants to get rid of it to make room for a new (to me) car. There are so many other cars I really like that I can't get because I don't have the space nor the time to keep so many cars in running condition. I've learned that stuff breaks a lot on a cars that aren't driven regularly.

Yeah, that's what my wife and mom keep telling me to do! Although I still love my Cutlass, it brings a smile to my face every time I drive it, especially if I'm driving like an asshole. :lol: