replacing missing OEM Keyless Entry Fob

MonteCarloMan

hi, my buddy just bought a 96 grand prix SE sedan and according to the dealership via his VIN he does have the keyless but does not have the fob. I have seen 3 fobs on ebay for sale for his car (typed in 1996 grand prix keyless) in a search. I just want to make sure that one of those 3 will work on his car. I know he will have to have it programed at the dealer. this is one of 3 that I found on ebay today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230398008863&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2&category=6763

I have bought 2 fobs from this seller for my last car a 2000 stratus and he sells fobs that are to me JUST as good as new (dealer wants 71 JUST for the fob :think:!) So, any info/feedback will be most helpful :thumbsup:

Man your going to have to find the Rke Brain. When I installed mine there is a code on the box that tells you what type of fob will work with the brain. I would start there before ever buying an fob. The lumina had the RKE brain installed near the back two speakers, but I had mine done myself and put it inside the knee cover.

it will work, no need to find that box. When he gets it open the trunk, to the right hand side by the radio antenna there will be a little black wire. un connected. Ground that out and press lock un lock and trunk. It should now work!

it will work, no need to find that box. When he gets it open the trunk, to the right hand side by the radio antenna there will be a little black wire. un connected. Ground that out and press lock un lock and trunk. It should now work!

Just did that to both of my Monte's and it worked just fine. The RKE box was still in the car and I got one remote with each car, so that worked out well.

well we had nice weather and blue skies so i popped open my friends trunk and pulled down the inner carpet that covers up the trunk side walls. i see the wire that runs to the antenae, but the only other wire is one that is covered in a plastic tube with notches running across it and it goes from the right rear tailight panel and into the area near where the trunk is hinged. so I am a little concerned that he may not have it (did not find the 'brain' near the speakers either). Is this cable covered in the plastic tubing the one you unplug and if so where do you unplug it from:think:?

well we had nice weather and blue skies so i popped open my friends trunk and pulled down the inner carpet that covers up the trunk side walls. i see the wire that runs to the antenae, but the only other wire is one that is covered in a plastic tube with notches running across it and it goes from the right rear tailight panel and into the area near where the trunk is hinged. so I am a little concerned that he may not have it (did not find the 'brain' near the speakers either). Is this cable covered in the plastic tubing the one you unplug and if so where do you unplug it from:think:?

You don't have to unplug anything... the wire you are looking for will already be unplugged :)

You don't have to unplug anything... the wire you are looking for will already be unplugged :)

sorry for sounding like a idiot but what does that mean as far as getting the remote to 'talk' to his car :think:?

......if the car doesn't have this wire, it doesn't have keyless. it is just a single wire with a plastic connector on the end...... reprogramming it is simple, use the instructions at the link below.....don't pay a dealer for something that simple.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/14935-Keyless-Entry?highlight=keyless+programming

I will have to remember to check the tire cover, but the link that says "THIS wire" goes to a page not found error so I hope he has the RPO code :).

EDIT: NONE of the picture links in that post work :(.

well we checked my buddy's RPO codes and he does NOT have the code AU0 listed on his tire cover, so worst case scenario, if he were to ADD the RKE 'brain' to the car, can it be done? and if so, what would be the average 'ballpark' price for one and how long to install it and how hard would it be. I take it it taps into the car's power lock/trunk release system.

EDIT: he decided to go with a aftermarket keyless setup for 125 installed made by Omega with a lifetime warranty on the hardware. so thanks again for the help guys you have been VERY helpful, all of you!

Edited by MonteCarloMan

Can it be done? Dude did you not read my post? Where's cubsfan when you need 'em :dance:

yeah i read your post, but as i said, he does not have the keyless option, we double checked with the dealer via his VIN and his RPO codes listed on his tire cover and he does NOT have the RPO code AU0 and the VIN does not say he has it either (the first time we were there they entered the number wrong). since the cost of adding the OEM/factory keyless RKE and fob and programming would be $$$ he decided to go with the aftermarket route, thanks anyway ;).

Can it be done? Dude did you not read my post? Where's cubsfan when you need 'em :dance:

Haha i'm right here.

Ya I added a 97+ RKE box into my 96 Lumina without much trouble. The 97+ Lumina got the new(er) style oval remote instead of the older rectangular remotes. The same applies to the grand prix I would guess. But since you already got it covered I guess you don't need any help :thumbsup:

well he was thinking adding the OEM/factory part but he does not have a lot of $$$, this is his first car so he thought the price they quoted him out the door with tax and 2 remotes was a good deal.

well he was thinking adding the OEM/factory part but he does not have a lot of $$$, this is his first car so he thought the price they quoted him out the door with tax and 2 remotes was a good deal.

The RKE boxes are $5 at my junk yard and the remotes are < $20 on ebay. Plus about $5 in wire.

$125 for a aftermarket unit installed seems like a decent deal though. I don't know how I lived without keyless entry on mine. Feels like the car doubled its value :dance:

• 1 month later...
CubsFan... do you have a thread somewhere that describes how you installed the OEM keyless system?

Link

The basic wires you have to hook up are the Power, ground, unlock, and lock. All these wires are found on the lock relay. The rest of the wires are for trunk pop and interior lights will come on when you unlock the doors. These aren't needed for the basic operation. This of course is for the 1.5 gen Lumina/Monte so the wires may be slightly different on other w-bodys.