What is this wire for?

Penglii

Yeah, I checked my spare visor and it's definitely not the light for that (only 1 wire) and definitely not for the overhead console (3-wires). Heatshrink and 1 single physical cable tells me that may be a shielded cable. If so, those are typically used for something like an antenna or microphone. Perhaps that car had some kind of hands-free car kit.

My Monte Carlo has one of those 1990's car-phone kits in it with those giant brick cell phones.. the wire could be from that

that is NOT, I repeat NOT a factory plug. I have messed with sunroofs, installed several autodimming mirrors, installed several overhead consoles... and it is NOT one of the connectors for any of those. PERIOD. I see that the back half of the connector seems to be wrapped with heat shrink tubing. that would be very typical for an aftermarket device such as a carphone. I would bet that it once had an antennae or a microphone attached to it. therefore, disregard it and tuck it out of view for perpetuality, or trace and remove it.

KEN FTW!!

I will definitely be tracing and removing that wire, re-purposing it no longer seems like a very good idea. LOL

However!!!!!! if you DO wish to install a auto dimming mirror.. ( or are you going for a typical one with maplights?) the wires are VERY easy to install, and require a little bit of work to do. A word of warning: the maplight mirror MUST be attached to a "switchable" circuit, which is one that is powered only when the car is on... unless you like a dead battery the first time you don't drive the car in a day... If you tell us what you wish to do, I or someone else can explain how you would best do it.

I have an autodimming mirror (Gentex... just autodim and compass) along with it's harness.

I forget which model number it is off the top of my head.

If I understand correctly I just need to wire the pink wire into an ignition switched power source... an wire the black one into a ground... and the green wire into the reverse switch... and then calibrate the compass by driving in some circles.

Any suggestions as to the best place to run the power/ground leads from?

Edited by Penglii

KEN FTW!!

I will definitely be tracing and removing that wire, re-purposing it no longer seems like a very good idea. LOL

I have an autodimming mirror (Gentex... just autodim and compass) along with it's harness.

I forget which model number it is off the top of my head.

If I understand correctly I just need to wire the pink wire into an ignition switched power source... an wire the black one into a ground... and the green wire into the reverse switch... and then calibrate the compass by driving in some circles.

Any suggestions as to the best place to run the power/ground leads from?

simple.

You must extend the wires to reach from the mirror location to the base of the right side A-pillar.

You must carefully remove:

the trim piece from the passenger side A-pillar (might rip a few off at the j/y first if you are not confident)

remove the passenger side visor,

the overhead console (if equipped)

the clips that hold the inner visors

with those off you can flex the headliner down and prop it down for clearance to run all the wires with a paperback book, Kleenex box or something...

wires:

-the black wire can be spliced into the overhead console's black wire or run to a suitable ground

-the pink hot wire can be run to the fuse box and wrapped around contact of the radio fuse. You can utilize the radio fuse to protect the mirror from short circuits and overheating by determining which is the protected side, this means pull the fuse with the key on and test the mirror's wire on either contact, and which ever side = off, is the side you want to use, thus utilizing the radio fuse to protect the circuit.

-the green wire may be left unhooked(some say wired to ground), but can be tied to the reverse lights if you desire. The reverse wire is one of the green ones in the bundle of wires going towards the rear of the car at the base of the passenger A-pilar. You may see 2 to 4 wires that are green in color, and you might be best to probe them for the one that is hot only when the car is in reverse.(voltmeter/test light helps) Sometimes you can locate it as it will be bundled with the other wires that go to the rear tails(such as yellow, green, brown, and light blue{or white}). Any wires pierced should be sealed back up with RTV or liquid electrical tape. Also, leave the radio off during the probe procedure as the other green wires will be speaker wires.

Edited by Crazy K