What is this wire for?

Penglii

There is this power connection coming out of my headliner. My first thought was that it could run power to a auto-dimming mirror, but the plug doesnt fit a mirror...

Also the line gets no power (tested with a voltmeter)... so I wonder what it is/was/should be connected to at the other end. I'd rather not remove the headliner to find out though...

Any ideas?

post-4571-143689040797_thumb.jpg

post-4571-143689040772_thumb.jpg

post-4571-143689040785_thumb.jpg

Oh God, I thought it was another fuel pump test lead thread LOL.

I had one of those too. Maybe someone before you had a radar detector.

I had one of those too. Maybe someone before you had a radar detector.

Did you ever know where yours was connected to?

I'm thinking it runs to either the dome light or maybe the map light... and just has a short?

Looks like for an OHC which was optional.

Over Head Console? I have that as a factory option, and it is still hooked up and functional...

and that's probably why it's not connected to anything...

Good call :laugh:

But then why is it there at all?

Good call :laugh:

But then why is it there at all?

cheaper for GM to make 2 or 3 different harness variations than to make individual ones based on options...

Someone befor you have an alarm?

Don't know... I get the impression it could have been put there for all sorts of reasons :dunce:

I want to give it power again, and use it for a mirror.

I bet its for rear view mirror map lights. But thats just my opinion..

This.

Or it might be the wire for a remote start antenna. But that plug doesnt look like any remote start antenna wire ive seen.

I bet its for rear view mirror map lights. But thats just my opinion..

There are already map lights on the overhead console... if it were for rear view mirror map lights, wouldn't there be a full gentex mirror harness coming out of there?

My mirror JUST has map lights, no auto dimming, homelink, or anything else like that. Just a good old fashioned mirror with maplights. I think the reason those lights are there is because I have a sunroof thus no room for an overhead console.

My mirror JUST has map lights, no auto dimming, homelink, or anything else like that. Just a good old fashioned mirror with maplights. I think the reason those lights are there is because I have a sunroof thus no room for an overhead console.

Not necessarily. My '91 CS had the mirror map lights, as did my girlfriend's '92 Lumina. the GP has them as well.

I vote for this one. I've got the same thing going on in my car too

Would that be RPO code "DC4" (MIRROR,INSIDE,REARVIEW TILT,DUAL READING LAMP I/S DUAL READING LP RR VIEW MIR(DC4)) ??

I don't have that RPO... but that probably explains why the wire is present but not getting any power.

Anyway, it looks like I'm gonna have to at least pull back part of the headliner to find out more about this wire... so it goes...

that is NOT, I repeat NOT a factory plug. I have messed with sunroofs, installed several autodimming mirrors, installed several overhead consoles... and it is NOT one of the connectors for any of those. PERIOD. I see that the back half of the connector seems to be wrapped with heat shrink tubing. that would be very typical for an aftermarket device such as a carphone. I would bet that it once had an antennae or a microphone attached to it. therefore, disregard it and tuck it out of view for perpetuality, or trace and remove it.

However!!!!!! if you DO wish to install a auto dimming mirror.. ( or are you going for a typical one with maplights?) the wires are VERY easy to install, and require a little bit of work to do. A word of warning: the maplight mirror MUST be attached to a "switchable" circuit, which is one that is powered only when the car is on... unless you like a dead battery the first time you don't drive the car in a day... If you tell us what you wish to do, I or someone else can explain how you would best do it.

Yeah, I checked my spare visor and it's definitely not the light for that (only 1 wire) and definitely not for the overhead console (3-wires). Heatshrink and 1 single physical cable tells me that may be a shielded cable. If so, those are typically used for something like an antenna or microphone. Perhaps that car had some kind of hands-free car kit.