The weekend update: Timing belt fun.

White93z34

Some backstory. Last year Sam (go4damo) bought a black 92' z34 5 speed from someone local with a bad timing belt, well more specifically the timing was all jacked up and the car would not run. I mentioned at the last dayton meet that I would give him a hand with it when he was ready to fix it.

And Saturday was just the day for that...

001.JPG

002.JPG

Not too shabby for having 175,xxx mi on it. supposedly the engine was rebuilt 50k ago according to the last owner.

004.JPG

we brought some "friends along" for encouragement

Lets get started...

003.JPG

005.jPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Intake gasket job while I'm here, why the hell not!?

010.JPG

011.JPG

Intrestingly enough the idlers and belt are in great shape. No prictures but the tensioner pulley was looking pretty sorry and the actuator was completely shot which is why the timing got all messed up.

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

Disassemble all done, time to reinstall this shizzle.

019.JPG

020.JPG

Brand new parts make me happy :thumbsup:

024.JPG

Crank timing set

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

Belt on, rotate crank 360* set front cams, lock down and done.

I don't have any more pictures but after It got put together, the old girl fired right up and it runs awesome. Rather rewarding to hear it run for the first time ever.

Aparently the PO did not believe in complete cam cover gaskets, all 6 O rings for the spark plug holes were missing which let a good bit of oil get in the plug holes. A few other asshole things were done, but nothing too bad.

I am really suprised how decent it runs with the miles it has, it has new:

Timing set

Spark plugs (rapidfires)

valve cover gaskets

plug wires

oil change

Pretty productive weekend. and If I can i may do a timing belt write up from this.

you use a special puller to get them off, its visible in a few of the pictures.

you pull 3 of them all but the very back one (because you can't get the tool in there.the front rear one is pulled just to make getting the belt lined up easier, and the front ones have to be pulled so you can rotate the engine without the front cams moving.

I can think of much worse jobs to do then this TBH, however no mater how you cut it the job is time consuming as all hell even if you know exactly what you are doing.