Legitimate '98 Oldsmobile Intrigue question

gorybella4

Yes, everyone, for once I have a legitimate question.

I think I've found THE car for me. Esmeralda (the Cutty convertible) was a pipedream, but THIS one is the one, I can just tell.

Only one snag (besides the obvious) is that it's a 1998 model, and my mom and her boyfriend are concerned that since it's "old" the transmission is going to fall out on the highway, the engine's going to blow, or some major part is going to malfunction.

Tommy and I test drove the car yesterday, checked everything out, and it seems fine to us. No lights on the dashboard light up when turned on, the brakes are very firm and responsive, which is good because the brake pedal and I are good friends still, and as most of you know, the 3.8L engine in it will hydrolock if it's not maintained, and the guy was meticulous enough to put a solar panel in the car to make sure that the engine still works, and he drove it around, even though it's not in regular use anymore.

Long story short, it seems fine so far, we just need to have our mechanic look at it and whatnot.

My question for anyone here who's had/has one is this:

What concerns should I have and will the major parts start failing after a month?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gorybella4

• Z34guy

• WhatTheFehl

• tornado_735

First of all, tell your mother that age means nothing... its all about how the vehicle was maintained, and it sounds like this Intrigue was maintained pretty well.

First of all, tell your mother that age means nothing... its all about how the vehicle was maintained, and it sounds like this Intrigue was maintained pretty well.

Yeah, the car belonged to the guy's wife (he has the original pamphlet from the dealership) and she's a worrywort and got everything worked on, even if it didn't need to be (which apparently was an annoyance, because he was venting about how much money got wasted, lol). Hell, the guy seemed a little sad himself when he was driving it around with us saying, "You know, I think this is the last time I'm going to be driving in this car." This makes me glad, because I can tell that they actually cared about/for the car.

it could always be a ploy to make the car more desirable.... aka back yard sales type crap... but a car with good records would be a good place to start, but have it inspected by a professional mechanic to see what he thinks and make sure the car is actually maintained.

things to consider: when you turn the key on before starting the car, make sure the check lights actually work, such as the check engine and airbag and ABS lights. unscrupulous people will pull the bulb rather than solve the problem. Autozone can scan for check engine codes, if the light does not work......

Also inspect the car for rust or accident damage. look under the front bumper area, under the rear behind the tires, look in the trunk above the shocks/struts areas (above the tires) behind the carpet for body failure where the car can rust and have a structural problem.....

And yes... Age means nothing if the car is maintained.

Edited by Crazy K

it could always be a ploy to make the car more desirable.... aka back yard sales type crap... but a car with good records would be a good place to start, but have it inspected by a professional mechanic to see what he thinks and make sure the car is actually maintained.

things to consider: when you turn the key on before starting the car, make sure the check lights actually work, such as the check engine and airbag and ABS lights. unscrupulous people will pull the bulb rather than solve the problem. Autozone can scan for check engine codes, if the light does not work......

inspect the car for rust or accident damage.

And yes... Age means nothing if the car is maintained.

The lights DO light up when the key is turned, so the bulbs work, they just don't stay lit, indicating a problem. There's no rust or anything either. And yes, we're going to have a trusted mechanic take a look. Thanks so much for the feedback, K! I appreciate it. :)

The lights DO light up when the key is turned, so the bulbs work, they just don't stay lit, indicating a problem.

just to make sure... yes, somebody actually told be they were glad to know that they had ABS cause the little light was on to tell them so... the lights are only on if there is a problem.

Edited by White93z34
uncalled for

just to make sure... yes, somebody actually told be they were glad to know that they had ABS cause the little light was on to tell them so... the lights are only on if there is a problem.

Anyways, if anyone wants to see the ad for this car, here is the all-important link:

http://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/1665816524.html

Edited by White93z34

The Intrigue also has a cloth interior. guy said when his wife bought it new, they had to have that special ordered. Not sure how true that is, but I see cloth seats as a plus! And it has remote start, which he demonstrated a few times. He seemed to love that button.

Edited by Z34guy

The Intrigue also has a cloth interior. guy said when his wife bought it new, they had to have that special ordered. Not sure how true that is, but I see cloth seats as a plus! And it has remote start, which he demonstrated a few times. He seemed to love that button.

The interior isn't a HUGE issue, since I'm going to be putting seat covers on it anyway, these are one of the ones I've narrowed it down to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Cinnamoroll-Car-Seat-Covers-10Pcs-set-Blue-EMS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414e21e1f7QQitemZ280483717623QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This set is a possibility too, whatever it is, it'll be feminine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6pc-Jessica-Galbreth-Fairy-Car-Mat-Seat-Covers-Steering_W0QQitemZ230292697186QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item359e83b062

Edited by gorybella4

Anyway, good news! Mom and her boyfriend went and took a lot at it, and mom had fun driving it around. Her boyfriend even seemed impressed, which is hard to do, since he's a Toyota humper all the way. Things are looking good, people! :thumbsup: If you pray, pray that I get this gorgeous car so that I may be made worthy of being on here! :)

I have an '00 Intrigue. For the most part, they are good cars.

One issue to know about is the ABS. From what I can surmise, the issue is what I think is the FLASH (eeproms) either going bad, or GM keeping a count of eeprom writes and raising an error above a certain number. To have a dealer fix it, you're looking at starting ~$2,500. When they replace the whole ABS module, they would have to bleed the brakes. Being in New England (snow States), it could cost upwards of $6K before it's all said and done! Bleeder screws rust, hoses need to be replaced, brake line fittings rust and the brake lines have to be replaced. etc. Anyone that has any extensive experience with older cars in a snow state knows this.

The above is the reason I got my '00 Intrigue from my sister. They got the estimate for the repair from the dealer, and they where told the truth about what the ABS (and then brake) job could end up costing, so they gave me the car. :cheers:

But wait, the good news is that all that has to be done is to replace the electronic portion and send it to a place for a fix. So, the DYI'er can fix the problem for ~$300, and they never have to open a bleeder screw, open a break line, etc. :)

I yanked the electronic module for the ABS/TC/SC, sent it off, put it back in, reset the steering wheel sensor (for the the stability control) with a scanner, and the car was all set. :)

Intrigues use the Bosch ABS controllers. So, if there's an ABS problem, the ABS is disabled, and the brakes are fully functionally and normal and just like a car that does not have ABS. FWIW, the new Cobalts don't come with ABS standard.

Also, my steering rack needs to be replaced as of this past Winter. That's common with many older cars. But, for the Intrigue, you're looking at ~$1K+ for a garage to replace the rack! OUCH!! I have two other cars. So, I'll do the rack in the summer, when I feel like it.

IMHO, getting a car older than ~7 years often only makes sense (and cents :)) if the person can do some stuff themselves. Or, if the know a good low-priced mechanic. Or, they are looking for a short term (~1->~3 year only) car.

That's all I can think of for now.

Good Luck!

Edited by Cutlass350

I have an '00 Intrigue. For the most part, they are good cars.

One issue to know about is the ABS. From what I can surmise, the issue is what I think is the FLASH (eeproms) either going bad, or GM keeping a count of eeprom writes and raising an error above a certain number. To have a dealer fix it, you're looking at starting ~$2,500. When they replace the whole ABS module, they would have to bleed the brakes. Being in New England (snow States), it could cost upwards of $6K before it's all said and done! Bleeder screws rust, hoses need to be replaced, brake line fittings rust and the brake lines have to be replaced. etc. Anyone that has any extensive experience with older cars in a snow state knows this.

The above is the reason I got my '00 Intrigue from my sister. They got the estimate for the repair from the dealer, and they where told the truth about what the ABS (and then brake) job could end up costing, so they gave me the car. :cheers:

But wait, the good news is that all that has to be done is to replace the electronic portion and send it to a place for a fix. So, the DYI'er can fix the problem for ~$300, and they never have to open a bleeder screw, open a break line, etc. :)

I yanked the electronic module for the ABS/TC/SC, sent it off, put it back in, reset the steering wheel sensor (for the the stability control) with a scanner, and the car was all set. :)

Intrigues use the Bosch ABS controllers. So, if there's an ABS problem, the ABS is disabled, and the brakes are fully functionally and normal and just like a car that does not have ABS. FWIW, the new Cobalts don't come with ABS standard.

Also, my steering rack needs to be replaced as of this past Winter. That's common with many older cars. But, for the Intrigue, you're looking at ~$1K+ for a garage to replace the rack! OUCH!! I have two other cars. So, I'll do the rack in the summer, when I feel like it.

IMHO, getting a car older than ~7 years often only makes sense (and cents :)) if the person can do some stuff themselves. Or, if the know a good low-priced mechanic. Or, they are looking for a short term (~1->~3 year only) car.

That's all I can think of for now.

Good Luck!

Thanks a bunch, this all is really helpful. And yeah, the brakes seem to be the biggest concern at this point.

AAAAAND

Update: It's got the Mom Seal of Approval, so I'm getting it!!!!!!!!! :dance: I'm HAPPY!

Congrats!

IMHO, Intrigues are great cars!

IMHO, great is an understatement. :thumbsup: I can't wait to actually drive it around and whatnot.

P.S.- I'm going to have to get a steering wheel cover for my own safety. I realized today exactly HOW much my palms sweat (completely physical, I'm not mentally nervous at all), which makes the steering wheel really slick and that could be bad, especially in summer when I'm not wearing gloves. I'll probably get a fabric one though.

Edited by gorybella4

I'm in Connecticut (Bristol) as well, so if you need any help, let me know... And what color interior is it? I have a set of leather seats if you don't want the cloth anymore... they're light gray.

I'm in Connecticut (Bristol) as well, so if you need any help, let me know... And what color interior is it? I have a set of leather seats if you don't want the cloth anymore... they're light gray.

Ah! Bristol! One of my old stomping ground areas from when I went to the Hood! :D I'll think about it, hun, thanks for the offer, that's really nice of you. The interior cloth is dark, I think it's black with very dark grey.

Ari. the light gray will work no problem. It has a light gray interior anyways.

No the thread must remain open I am trying to help her and I have much more to offer. Its not my fault a guy with comprehensive knowlege of the L27 insists on ranting about how good the 3800 series One is regardless of it being a total different animal that whats in a 1998 Intrigue.

As much as I hate you Rob, I do have to concede you know more about the Intrigue Ari's getting than most likely anyone here. I do have to agree that the 3800 had no right to be produced as long as it did. I think it should've been canned in 1988 and replaced with a 3.8L DOHC 24 valve V6 that was more up to date and capable of competing with the imports. I am a DOHC humper but even I'll admit the 3800 has it's merits.

So, the L36 has it's problems. We can all concede that.

What can be done about these problems Rob? Preventative maintenance, being proactive, what?

if you guys need to know anything about your new Intrigue please PM me and I will be glad to help you just do me a favor and dont ask 95GPSE he will give you advice about a motor that was made 3 years earlier.

:thumbsup: will do.

I don't mean to be a dick honestly, its just my intranets nature. Ryan Bosquet will tell you (RZB1993) I am glad to help anyone who owns a 1964-1972 cutlass 442 or w-30 a 1988-1997 cutlass or a 1998-2002 Intrigue out as much as I can. I know them all I also know 1995-1999 Auroras 2001-2003 Auroras 1999-2004 Aleros and 2002-2004 Bravadas. Those vehicles are my specialty.