Metalic noise from a/c clutch or timing chain? '99 Lumina 3.1 V6

wtavcar

I have a '99 Lumina LS with 3.1 V6 . During the last 2 months I have been getting in intermttent metalic noise from the area around the water pump, a/c compressor. The car has 133K km (~82k mi)

The noise is most noticeable around the freezing mark outside. I suspected the water pump bearing and prompty changed the pump. The noise reappeared 2 weeks later when the temp. went colder.

The noise comes from that general area but is hard to pinpoint because of moving parts and limited space. I suspect the a/c clutch or worst, timig chain. The noise will appear, then dissappear.

Has anyone experienced this noise? Is the clutch sticking? Can it be fixed, greased, replaced? Can I spray wd-40 into the clutch to see if something is sticking?

AC clutch, unhook connector on front of the ac compressor. Will need to get the clutch replaced before it locks up..unfortunately I have had that happen!

Does it by chance go AWAY when you turn on the A/C? My old cavalier had the same problem. On occasion, the compressor would rattle to all hell at idle, really made a racket. As soon as I turned on the A/C, though, it would be quiet and work great. Turn it off, bam right back to clatter central. Either way, you need a new one.