Is it possible to add HUD and DIC to a 96 Cutlass?

88red4cyl

I know by 96 these options weren't available on the CS anymore... I was wondering if anyone has added them to a 96-97 Cutlass, or if its even possible to make them interact with OBD-II... I know I'd have to hack up the dash to make a spot for them if it is possible... The reason I ask is there is a 96 Cutlass that is really clean and cheap, but it is lacking these 2 features I loved about the earlier Cutlasses... But if I can't add these things, I don't really want to mess with it since it won't really be that much better than my Lumina (OBD-II excluded)...

Also, how difficult would it be to add ECC?

if a 96 GP or Regal came with it, then you would be able to as well.

if they used the class 2 datastream(and i'm fairly certain they did since the OBD1 versions used the ALDL stream), then you would have no choice but to use one meant for an OBD2 car.

if a 96 GP or Regal came with it, then you would be able to as well.

if they used the class 2 datastream(and i'm fairly certain they did since the OBD1 versions used the ALDL stream), then you would have no choice but to use one meant for an OBD2 car.

So I could work in one from a newer GP then if I had to? I know they had HUD and DIC..

a 96, for sure. not sure about 97-up... i don't know if they would have pushed out a different datastream or not. if they did, then you would need to swap out your current PCM for the same year as the HUD/DIC that you want.

I added both to a 95, with a hacked up dash originally. I have now converted to a GP dash following suit of what Bob and Venom did.

for a 96, you will need a 96 only GP DIC. You also have the issue of placement if you retain the original dash.

Refer to the FAQ's HUD thread I authored for the wiring info.

I added both to a 95, with a hacked up dash originally. I have now converted to a GP dash following suit of what Bob and Venom did.

for a 96, you will need a 96 only GP DIC. You also have the issue of placement if you retain the original dash.

How involved is swapping the dash? Does the GP one bolt right up? And I assume the CS wouldn't be prewired for HUD or DIC..

How involved is swapping the dash? Does the GP one bolt right up? And I assume the CS wouldn't be prewired for HUD or DIC..

I can do it in half a day... you would best start by ripping a dash out of a junkyard car to see what is involved. Your car will NOT be pre-wired. I suggest getting a dash from a 1996 GP along with all the wiring under the dash, as well as the headlight harness, for the temp sensor(or part of it) this requires only one wiring change to use a GP harness in a CS, plus you have to deal with the radio too...

check this out:

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c214/Crazy_Ken/Dash%20Swap%2095%20CS%20into%2094%20Cs/?start=all