security light

jake91

okay so yesterday my security light came on when i started my car. it runs perfect no problems what so ever. its just that i have this pretty orange glow on my dash now. what is the problem

i dont think this matters but i just put a new battery in yesterday but it was of my first 2 times driving it the it came on

or i almost got in a wreck and had to swerve of the road at 45mph do you think i could have broke a wire in my colum

what do you think i just dont want to end up getting stranded

Try cleaning the chip embedded in your key. Sometimes they get dirty, or the contacts inside the lock cylinder get gummed up, and it can cause the light to trigger. If there was a real problem the car wouldn't start at all.

Worse comes to worse you can bypass the whole system. But try cleaning first.

i took a multimeter to mine and verfied that one of the wires broke VERY close to the ignition cylinder. luckily it happened while it was running, so it got stuck in fail-enable mode, which is what it sounds like happened to yours. as long as the wire doesn't start making contact again, especially while the engine isn't running, but the key is rolled forward, you have nothing to worry about, other than any key that's cut correctly can start it...

Do you have a remote starter in the car? The system would be bypassed already, so something can be faulty with the bypass if you've got a remote starter

Do you have a remote starter in the car? The system would be bypassed already, so something can be faulty with the bypass if you've got a remote starter

Wait, I have a remote starter... that means the VATS has already been bypassed? I thought if the VATS was bypassed then it would flash the security light continuously? My security light only flashes on startup then turns off.

Come on guys, the above link is not totally a bypass. Bypass the system would be completey eliminating the system. What the above link is doing (and what most remote start systems do) is just mimic the signal, therefore eliminating the need for a fancy key.

As mentioned above, the pellet is either dirty, or is starting to stray from it's resistance. The first test would be to try your spare ignition key. If the light still comes on, looks like you may need a new VATS module.

tried my spare key my neighbor said he thinks its what robert said so he is going to get me a new one and i will just replace my turnsignal switch while im at it

If the wire was actually broke then it shouldnt be starting at all. Try soldering a resistor in and see if that fixes the problem. If not then the VATS computer itself is probably bad.

Wait, I have a remote starter... that means the VATS has already been bypassed? I thought if the VATS was bypassed then it would flash the security light continuously? My security light only flashes on startup then turns off.

A resistor would have been soldered in between the two VATS wires so the car thinks its seeing the chip in your key. The security light wont come on because the car is still seeing the correct resistance

Like others have said its one of things

-Bad/dirty key

-Dirty lock cyl

-broken lock cyl

if you want to fix it proper... If it is a bad lock cyl bank on buying the proper part from the dealer, you likely will get a new lock cyl and key that will have to be matched to your existing ones resistance. tear down the top of the column, r/r the lock cyl. and re run the vats wires to the base of it and you should be good to go.

or you could do the resistor mod for far less money.

also if the failure occurred once the car was started it will not disable the car.

also if the failure occurred once the car was started it will not disable the car.

Fail-Enable mode is FTW... i think.

anyone want the specifics of it according to alldata?