Slower starting when warm?

spiderw31

Breakdown's recent thread regarding a warm start issue got me thinking: there are some odd behaviors whit my GP that I've passed off as normal, but now I'm wondering.

When the car is cold, it start right away. By right away, I mean that the starter is turning for half a second or less before the engine fires up. When warm though, the car will crank more like three seconds before it fires. It fires every time, but still it takes longer when warm.

I figured it was normal, as my Fiero has always done the same thing, just older ECMs doing there thing. Does anyone else experience the same thing?

there is less fuel commanded during cranking when the motor is already warm, and the ECM doesn't account for O2 correction during this time either, so it is possible it's either starving for fuel and won't fire, or it's rich for the first couple dozen of revolutions and eventually catches.

i'd lean toward lean though.

My Old 88 regal was like that. When cold, it would crank once or twice at the most and it would fire. When warm, and after sitting a little bit, it would usually crank about 6 times before it would fire. Never bothered to figure out why, as it did that since the day we owned it and it never gave us any other issues.

The GP has never acted like this for me. Nor the other vehicles we have in my family.

However, the '98 S-10 we had at work was like that, but worse. It started right up as soon as you turned the key in the winter. The colder it was, the easier it was to start. In the summer... it would crank for 30 seconds or so before it would catch, and even when it did it stumbled a little bit until you hit the gas. Then it would run perfect... nice and smooth, quiet, no stumbling, no stalling. My dad thought it was a bad injector. We never investigated it though.

there is less fuel commanded during cranking when the motor is already warm, and the ECM doesn't account for O2 correction during this time either, so it is possible it's either starving for fuel and won't fire, or it's rich for the first couple dozen of revolutions and eventually catches.

i'd lean toward lean though.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. With the Fiero there is actually a dedicated cold start injector, and it only fires below 50* or something like that.

Regardless, it has never been a problem (with either car) but I thought I'd ask since the thought came up. Thanks for the input all! :high5: