3400 starter swap

GTP091

I'm going to the JY to pull a 3400 starter for my LQ1. Is there anything I should watch for when picking one out or does any 3400 starter bolt right up?? Sounds like from other threads I've read the 3400 starter sounds different and draws less current is this true?

It sounds different, is higher torque and is smaller.

I have never re-used the shims from the original one when I switched to them.

As others have said, it does indeed fit; I've got one on my LQ1. The only issue I had was the length of the main power cable. The 3400 starter is shorter than the stock LQ1 starter, so the power cable is a little to long, making it a little annoying to tighten down.

I had to use one skinny shim in mine. I thought they might not need one at all but my red tgp made a little bit of noise when you first start it.

Thanks for the replies. I've replaced my charging/starting system wire with 4 gauge so it'll reach as I left a little to work with. Is the sound of the starter alright? I'm hoping it's not whiny; I don't want my car to sound like some gay-ass 4 banger honda accord when it turns over.

Looks like the oil filter and oil cooler need to come off to get the starter out. Does anybody knot the size of socket needed to get the oil cooler nut off? looks like a 25mm or 26mm but the largest I have is 24mm.

Oil filter yes, oil cooler no (on mine at least). I was able to push the coolant lines aside just enough that I could work the starter out without removing the cooler. It takes some patience and trial, but it can be done. After doing it once you'll know why the starter swap is such a good idea!

Oil filter yes, oil cooler no (on mine at least). I was able to push the coolant lines aside just enough that I could work the starter out without removing the cooler. It takes some patience and trial, but it can be done. After doing it once you'll know why the starter swap is such a good idea!

I didn't take off either. I was able to replace the starter without unplugging anything but the starter related stuff.

Keep in mind that 91-93 LQ1 cars have a factory installed oil cooler that tends to get in the way. From my understanding the 94-97 cars are easier to do the starter on.

the starter on my TGP was frickin burried, ended up having to remove one of the oil cooler coolant lines to get the space to remove it. Just got another mini starter to replace it. The sound of them I don't care for. But as cheap as I can get these mini starters for Its a no brainer to install them in place of the huge starters.

When I was in Georgia I got one for Matt for $20 off a montana van IIRC, This past weekend I picked one up off of a 01' century for $30 for my TGP.

Keep in mind that 91-93 LQ1 cars have a factory installed oil cooler that tends to get in the way. From my understanding the 94-97 cars are easier to do the starter on.

Mine is a '92. It takes a bit of effort, but I pulled the large starter twice with the cooler on and connected. Without pulling the filter though, it needed about 1/2" more room to clear the bellhousing.

I'll have to give it another go then with the oil cooler and lines on. The back of the starter just doesn't seem to want to tip up enough with the cooler lines in the way. If it's been done before like this then I'm sure I can manage. If I can get the CP sensor on and off using giant alligator clips and a mirror then im sure I can do the starter. I have to replace the big bugger now anyway the copper bolt on the solenoid broke off when I tried to tighten the brass nut back on. Usually easier and cheaper than to fix this kind of thing.

I was able to get the starter out in about 2 minutes after giving it another try. I gave it the lift, twist, and turn and it came right out. Looks like another reason GM charges to much to do this kind of stuff when their service manual tells them to take off more than whats needed. I didn't need to pull the oil cooler to get it out or disconnect the coolant lines either. Reminded me when I was quoted 8 hrs to change the alternator. I did that in 1.5.

The starter I found was in a 03' Pontiac montana and was the only 3400 in the entire yard. The starter is in real good shape of course I'm going to repaint it so will have pics of it installed then. Here's some pics of the hole it left and a side by side of both units. There's one shot where you can see the void left when you remove the ignition pack and another of the oil cooler itself.

post-4578-143689039992_thumb.jpg

post-4578-14368904001_thumb.jpg

post-4578-143689040016_thumb.jpg

post-4578-143689040022_thumb.jpg

Edited by GTP091

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the final shots of the starter in the car. You can see how much smaller the starter is compared to the original; the old starter was backed right up to the coolant hose of the oil cooler. It now starts with much more gusto and seems to crank at a higher RPM as well. I cleaned the mating surfaces and spread a thin film of dielectric grease on it to make sure it was grounded well.

post-4578-143689040028_thumb.jpg

post-4578-143689040034_thumb.jpg