Floor Shifter Problem - Pi$$ing me off!

GP1138

Have an '89 GP LE, floor shifter. I was sitting in it after a drive and decided to just see if it would start in neutral. I shifted to neutral and it wouldn't shift out. It began to jam worse, and then slipped into Park. I then pressed the button and pulled and it went as far as 1, then when I let go it slipped into 2. I removed the tops of the console and the plastic (PLASTIC??) tabs for the mount for the shifter cable has broken, and the shifter cable is free down by the chassis. I've tried holding it with a wrench and with this and that, and it won't move.

Through all of this, I cannot start the $^%&$ car. I need it before tomorrow for my automotive class I'm starting. Help! :evil: :(

So, wait... it was running / started before and not it doesn't work at all?

Could be the Transmission Neutral Switch located on the top of the tranny where the shift cable installs in.

The starter does not crank, correct?

- Erik

Alright... I've gotten the cable disconnected from the actual selector on the transmission. I've gotten it into Park. Now I gotta find out why the shifter cable is sticking. I'm currently in the process of dismantling the rest of the console so I can get better access to the mounting. I'm gonna have to rig it up somehow until I can get to a boneyard and swipe one.

I actually came in to get my CD player. FM radio sucks, FUCK YOU CLEAR CHANNEL!! :twisted:

yes it sounds like a binding cable to me

I think I'm with you on this one.

GP1138, have you gone through the gears and notice the selection moving on the tranny?

There should be very little resistance in the shift cable / sleeve.

I actually came in to get my CD player. FM radio sucks, FUCK YOU CLEAR CHANNEL!! :twisted:

Listen to 90.5FM KCSU if in Fort Collins... it's better...

We're working on streaming via the internet by Thanksgiving.

No commericals, always new music, and plus I'm a DJ! :wink:

- Erik

I've been able to move the car into my driveway, so I don't have to worry about getting run over by passing cars, and I've pretty much determined that the cable is the problem. When the selector on the tranny is in Park, the cable will not move back at all past where it is, which (if it's hooked to the shifter inside the car) is in Park. The cable under the hood, if the selector is in Park, is stuck where Neutral is.

The mount that holds the cable to the chassis inside the car is definitely broken, so I'm gonna need to get a new mount from a boneyard. If anyone has one, and can send it to me ASAP, I'd appreciate it. I can probably get to class tomorrow night on the shift cable or whatever alright, I'm gonna have to rig it somehow.

Please, if anyone has any more thoughts, I'd be appreciative.

Listen to 90.5FM KCSU if in Fort Collins... it's better...

We're working on streaming via the internet by Thanksgiving.

No commericals, always new music, and plus I'm a DJ!

Sweet. I'm in Dayton, Ohio so pretty much any good station here is AM. 700 WLW is the best AM station, even though it's owned by CC. If anyone here listens to the "Truckin' Bozo" radio show, it originates here in Ohio, from 700 WLW.

I personally am a DJ on 88.1/89.9FM WDPR/WDPG, classical. I'm just an intern, but it's pretty cool to be heard all over your city, publicly. Except when I screw up... :D

Well, I just got done driving it, I took it out for a real drive, not just a 5mi jaunt. It performed ok until it got hot, around 3/4 on the temp gauge, and then the transmission started slipping, enough to make the dash vibrate violently.

I'm convinced all I need are new shifter cables, so I'm gonna see how much those are. Some transmission fluid and cleaner are on my laundry list, along with some plugs, and some injector cleaner, and a Hayne's manual. That's important, as I've found out most of what I've learned through my own willingness to screw with my car.

For those interested, I've been using my largest combo wrench to move the transmission under the hood from Park to Neutral to Drive, etc... it looks funny having to pop the hood just to reverse the damn car, but till new shift cables happen, that's how it's gonna be...

:roll:

No longer! I am happy to report that the GP is now floor shiftable once again. Thanks to Riverside Auto Salvage. They had a Grand Prix SE, with all the options, including a DIC!!! I bought a DIC, the shifter mount for it, and the shifter cable for $35!! I can drive my car, and I topped off the ATF so I can hit the gas and KNOW that it's not going to slip like a fucking fat guy on a greased staircase! :D

Amen to that. The bastards own about 3/4 of Lincoln's airwaves. Fuckin hate 'em. Three Eagles (a local company) did a good job of screwing them over though. They sold their name and freq. (92.9 The Eagle) to Clear Channel, then they bought their old competitor (95 Rock 95.1), and hired all their old DJ's that CC fired, and waited for Clear Channel to totally screw up the Eagle, so that they could have all their old listeners back. It's a wonderful thing.