Same Car, Differernt Engine, Same Gas Tank?

Q-Ball

I'm looking to get a gas tank for one of my 92 GTP's. The question is, does the 3.1 and the 3.4 use the same tanks? I did a parts look up online and it said it can use the same part number, but the selling it swears it only fits the 3.1's.

not sure how Gen1s worked but on the 95MC, there was the 16.X gallon tank for the 3100 and a 17.X tank for the LQ1...

now, i didn't know this at the time, but the 17.X tank fits perfectly in place of the 16.X one...

not sure how Gen1s worked but on the 95MC, there was the 16.X gallon tank for the 3100 and a 17.X tank for the LQ1...

now, i didn't know this at the time, but the 17.X tank fits perfectly in place of the 16.X one...

I know I own the car and have the 1995 chevrolet Sales brochure...... somewhere...

Would the fuel pump be the same as well?

mine was originally 16.1... still have the factory pump and i've ran it VERY damn empty before and never sucked air...

my version of damn empty is where it actually took more gallons going in the tank that it is supposed to hold...

on gen 1 and gen 1.5 cars the tanks are basically the same. I think it was actually a year thing... which is later years got a slightly larger tank. I can vouch that 95- cars had the same tank no matter what engine they had.

HERE'S THE VISIBLE DIFFERENCE: the stamping of the lower portion has a slightly larger bowl that goes all the way to the rear of the tank, vs staying only under the pump area on the lower capacity tanks. the difference is how much? 1/2 gallon?