3400 Swap done!

1QUICKHATCH

3400lumina002.jpg

Well I am finally getting around to posing this!(I know its not too pertty looking yet :redface:) I did the swap from the 3.1 back in October, I just needed some more power! its a 1998 montana van 3400 bone stock with 250,000+kms on it. The swap went well, probly a little easyer than the 3400 j-body swap due to needing less parts to get the job done! The car is a 1992 lumina with a 3spd auto, I made a temp/hack job kick down bracket to get me by for now. I welded a tab to the 3400 TB for the cable for now untill the 65mm TB gets installed! Right now the 3400 is working good, it feels like a slightly faster than stock 3.1 off the line untill it hits 3000rpm then it pulls hard till it shifts at 4700!

When I first got it running I found out the the stock 3400 injectors are to big when running on the stock 3.1 ECM/tune, it was running like crap and throwing rich codes. I swapped in some small port 3100 injectors and that fixed the problem and runs great now! The other problem I am having is that I have a bad tps causing a hesitation on tip in, but that will be fixed with the larger TB!

I am hoping to get it to the track at the start of next month to see what it will run before the headers, TB, ported topend! It feels like a high 15 to me :cool: I have only had one person try me from a light in a v6 accord and we where dead even till I let up around 80km and they did not want to try for round 2!

any questions on the swap feel free to ask I will try to help. you can find mor pics here: http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc307/1quickhatch/3400swap_lumina/

• Like 1

get it tuned and at a minimum, adjust the TV cable so it shifts later, the LA1 makes more power past 4700, think more along the lines of a 6000 RPM shift. better yet would be to replace the th125C with a 4T60-e

I have the TV cable adjusted the best I can right now, 47-4800 is the best that I can do with the kick down set up that I have right now. A tune is going to be done in the next few months when the cash flow will allow. it also needs some 2.5" exhaust and the tall tires are not helping it off the line... 3400lumina_halloween020.jpg

lol

Montana wheels fit W-Bodies??

I had to use 1/4" spacers on the front and I ground town the caliper bracket a little to get them to work, the rear was fine.

get it tuned and at a minimum, adjust the TV cable so it shifts later, the LA1 makes more power past 4700, think more along the lines of a 6000 RPM shift. better yet would be to replace the th125C with a 4T60-e

how do you adjust the TV cable???

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well just a little update! have not had any problems with the 3400 it is working great, but still needs a tune. Have to look in to my low end power issue, it is slow of the line but pulls hard once it hits 3000rpm. Looks like it is a stock 3.1 tune issue or I may need a stall converter to get it out of the hole faster! Went to the track last night with it, hot and humid 29-30*c / 80%, ran a best of 16.74@ 84.91mph! track was also very sticky and not helping me get of the line (2.55 60') going to see if I can figure out the low end before next outing then when I get some time the headers will be going on!

i could set you up with a tune...;)

and 16.74 isn't bad at all, considering the 3 speed...

has the TV cable been played with so that it shifts higher? you'll pick up a lot of time if it hasn't.

i could set you up with a tune...;)

and 16.74 isn't bad at all, considering the 3 speed...

has the TV cable been played with so that it shifts higher? you'll pick up a lot of time if it hasn't.

I shifted it manually, not sure how high because my cheep tach was acting up on me, just went by sound(approx. 5500). my moms 3100 GA ran 16.3@ 84mph in the same kind of heat so I should be able to get at least that out of it once I get it to pull harder off the line.

might be interested in a tune depending on the price, send me a pm

oh ya also got 27.5 mpg on the way home from the track!

don't be surprised when those stock pistons grenade at 6 grand!!!!! not downing your shit or anything, it is just that i have had the honor of blowing up many 3xxx motors which is why i went to the L67. and with that many miles on the engine the rod bearings won't let you torture them for to long until they give up. but the swap looks great and i hope the 3400 gives you another 250,000+kms providing you treat it like a high milage engine. how about a pic of your 76 cutty, cutlass's are bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and take Rob's offer for the tune and get those 3400 inj's back in that motor. the tune and inj's will deffinately improve the low end and launch times. is you lumina still obd I, or did you swap in the obd II set up. obd II will allow you to tune and use a 3400 pcm from the get go without it obd I will truly limit your options.

• Like 1

don't be surprised when those stock pistons grenade at 6 grand!!!!! not downing your shit or anything, it is just that i have had the honor of blowing up many 3xxx motors which is why i went to the L67. and with that many miles on the engine the rod bearings won't let you torture them for to long until they give up. but the swap looks great and i hope the 3400 gives you another 250,000+kms providing you treat it like a high milage engine. how about a pic of your 76 cutty, cutlass's are bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and take Rob's offer for the tune and get those 3400 inj's back in that motor. the tune and inj's will deffinately improve the low end and launch times. is you lumina still obd I, or did you swap in the obd II set up. obd II will allow you to tune and use a 3400 pcm from the get go without it obd I will truly limit your options.

the only problems i have hat with the 60* v6's is spun rod bearings, and I am more worried about the 300,000km+ trans. If I spin one now it will get a 3500! as for the tune I may just do an OBD II swap because I am looking at hp tuners for my Alero any ways!

going to do an alignment, service the brakes, change the tps, change the plugs and maybe port a newer plenum to try out. Then I will head back to the track in two or three weeks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

1QUICKHATCH:

Besides the 3400 engine itself, can you tell me (or send a link) a list of what is needed for the swap. I have a '90 Lumina Euro with 3.1/4T60 and considering if it's worth it to swap a 3400 in (from a '01 Alero with ~40k miles on it). Nothing is wrong with my 3.1, but the 3400 should have much better performance and maybe even slightly better fuel economy.

Thanks.

• Like 1

1QUICKHATCH:

Besides the 3400 engine itself, can you tell me (or send a link) a list of what is needed for the swap. I have a '90 Lumina Euro with 3.1/4T60 and considering if it's worth it to swap a 3400 in (from a '01 Alero with ~40k miles on it). Nothing is wrong with my 3.1, but the 3400 should have much better performance and maybe even slightly better fuel economy.

Thanks.

I will try to get some more pics of the engine bay and a list of stuff that needs to be done for the swap in the next week or two!
  • Like 1