major differences?

ThunderBat

I've been considering giving my 2001 GP GT to my daughter and replacing it with maybe a GXP or a MonteSS. I've been doing some reading over at GPONA where they have a dedicated GXP section and it seems they are plagued with a few problems.

The ISS (Intermediate steering shaft) seems to be common gripe (you would think GM would have learned that lesson after the Bonneville) as well as a few other items.

I found one Monte forum, but they seem to be focused mostly on the older RWD models, so I was curious how many late model SS owners there might be here? I really like the idea of the LS4 V8, but not so crazy about Tap-Shift. Are there any other major differences between the GXP and the SS that anyone here knows of?...or things to be aware of in looking for a good used model?

The ISS is most definitely NOT a big issue. The lube kit runs about $20 and I completed it in under 2 hours the first time around. My Regal thankfully does not have this issue...but it does seem to be hit and miss.

If that is the biggest complaint....don't let that sway your decision.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the interior of the SS is extremely bland/boring when compared to that of the GXP.

Although if head room is a problem I'd look towards the Impala.

The trans. will be fine behind the LS4 unless you're constantly beating on it. The amount of torque management that GM put in the PCM's of these cars is amazing. I've ridden in an Impala SS with the LS4, and quite frankly I wasn't impressed. It was definitely better than the 3.5 in my mom's LT, but it sure as hell didn't feel like a ballsy small-block V8.

Now, if you start getting into tuning to get rid of the torque management, THAT'S when the 4T65 starts to hate you haha.

The trans. will be fine behind the LS4 unless you're constantly beating on it. The amount of torque management that GM put in the PCM's of these cars is amazing. I've ridden in an Impala SS with the LS4, and quite frankly I wasn't impressed. It was definitely better than the 3.5 in my mom's LT, but it sure as hell didn't feel like a ballsy small-block V8.

fwiw: an LS4 w-body would absolutely ass rape a 3.5L Impala.....the LS4 should be in the 13.8-14.0 second range for 1/4 mile stock, I think that some have even gotten as low as 13.6 with a stock car

fwiw: an LS4 w-body would absolutely ass rape a 3.5L Impala.....the LS4 should be in the 13.8-14.0 second range for 1/4 mile stock, I think that some have even gotten as low as 13.6 with a stock car

i drove my neighbors 04 Impala SS. i was very impressed. it would give my regal a run for its money, whether or not its faster i wouldnt be surprised either way.

i drove my neighbors 04 Impala SS. i was very impressed. it would give my regal a run for its money, whether or not its faster i wouldnt be surprised either way.

an '04 Impala SS isn't the LS4, it is an l67

an '04 Impala SS isn't the LS4, it is an l67

wrong button. 08